Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting prone

Were you shooting a springer?

They tend to shoot high and to the side prone.

Basically, springers need, as you know, a loose hold, and prone tends to be a strong hold. Takes real effort to loosen it up. Counter-instinctual.

RF/CF this doesn't really apply. Though I have found that they shoot to a slightly different POI between prone (with a tight sling) and kneeling or offhand.

PCP I have no idea. Never owned one.

I don't know about rolling down hills, but I find these days once I get into the prone position it takes a couple of hours and a stout crane to get me vertical again in all seriousness I've never been fond of shooting from the prone position, much prefer to sit with my back to a tree.

Atvb

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    I remember when I was younger and shooting prone was the preferred method for rabbiting. Lie behind a small bunch of nettles, wait for Bugs to make an appearance and break a hat in his bottom!

I gave it a go yesterday, there was a lovely south facing slope with a warren by a cornish hedge. A small patch of gorse barely 30 yards away proving just the right amount of cover.
    I assumed the position, raised the gun to check site lines and rolled all the way down the hill!?

Where am I going wrong?
    Are we to read this as ' bust a cap in his a*se'? You ain't down wiv de kids, blud!

I think next time you should make sure that your legs are spread a bit to brace against rolling.

Captain Bongo is offline I'm not falling for this again........
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Is one's belly somewhat rounder than of yesteryear
    Combined with the short legs, you may have found the problem.......

Quote Originally Posted by baldinio View Post
    I don't know about rolling down hills, but I find these days once I get into the prone position it takes a couple of hours and a stout crane to get me vertical again in all seriousness I've never been fond of shooting from the prone position, much prefer to sit with my back to a tree.

Atvb

Chris
    Yep, you and me too, Chris.

As you say, I was never particularly fond of shooting prone, even when younger. I did at a .22 rimmy club when I was a teenager. And also in my early 20s at a club we went to. FT on Summer evenings and 20 yards indoors on the rimfire range. But never that keen and particularly awkward (for me, at least) with a springer and trying to keep your holds consistent.

Also, when hunting, on the pasture land I shot over, when the grass was longer, shooting from prone was virtually impossible anyway.

Dodgy neck, back, shoulders and arms these days would see me not even attempting this.

Although I can see the patented TBT "support stick" coming in handy.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

flyingfish is online now I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    I think it should be TBT chocs. Strategically located to prevent unwanted roll

Pete
    Pete

To shoot prone you would raise one knee to take the weight of your chest. The other leg should be at an angle to the body to give a stable platform.
    Nick you went wrong when you opened a pack of chocolate digestives,and attempting to dunk them in a flask of tea

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"