Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA spitfire help

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Would like to know the results you get when it is finished. I have stripped virtually every make of PCP but never the Spitfire or the Firebird, have an immaculate Firebird at the moment with 3 quick change barrels including .25.

Baz
    You lucky man!!! If you ever consider selling... ;-) ;-) ;-)

Hi Phil, respect for servicing a Spitfire yourself. I've been lazy and brought mine to JB. It came back in parts from my gunsmith in the Netherlands, he didn't have the right tools.
    I have the SF version and John also repaired the slow leak. Apparently SF's have a slow leak because of a manufacturing fault; a hole was drilled too deep. Now it keeps its pressure. He also stressed to me that the gun needs to be shot regularly (ie every week). I must admit that I don't manage to do this. Does anyone know why this is?
    I'm now in the process of refurbishing the stock, the varnish is off, I need to sweat the dye/stain out, sand dye and oil. My CCL kit is waiting. I'll take my time after having done it wrong (too quickly) on another stock. You live and learn... Next project will be to (try to) make a t/h stock for it. It's all good fun. These guns have got character, that's for sure. Cheers Louis

Louis, I do not think you have to shoot them every week, I find that every month or even every two months keeps them OK. There is a Spitfire for sale in our local RFD that stood for months without being fired and its still holding air. John Bowkett told me that the Teflon seal has to be moved regularly from a stationary position or it will leak.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

I have an early model here in 22 cal which I inherited from the owner when he died four years ago. I doubt if he filled it more than twice, he just liked owning air rifles. I guess I have cocked it and fired it less than ten times in four years, and I must be one of the lucky ones as it's still holding the same air.

I can't see me ever using it so it will be up for sale sooner or later.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by activeviii View Post
    Just started stripping a BSA Spitfire in .177

How the heck do you get the rod out. both ends are unscrewed, just need to get the rod part out of the tube so i can replace seals. its like a sieve at the moment. I know it could have been sent off but at £100 for the service and the postage on top, it makes it rather more than the gun is worth.

it would be good if there was a schematic drawings for it but i cant find one.

any help would be very very much appreciated.

thanks all

Phil.
    Must say a thank you to you philly . Appreciate you servising my spitfire , cant wait to use it ( picked up today ) i bought 2x of them service kits so haha ! Just need my other airgun back from brother as that has the scope i want to put on this to keep it small & compact . I bought this new years ago and it was used pretty regularly and accounted for many magpie and had my first rat with it . Amoungst other quarry . I still remember how well it shot , 1" @60 yards was pretty impressive . So hopefully be out soon again . Thanks philly .