Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
Maybe not pot luck on the rifle working long term ...

Best HW99s test, cock rifle, de cock, cock rifle, de cock, etc do that a dozen times and see what happens.
If the cocking link isn't chewing the cylinder by then, lucky you. Everyone in the gun trade knows, all very happy to take peoples money though which is fair enough. No tuners used to touch them, they used to laugh at people who bought them as they all know they are shite.
Now, you can buy a 'custom jobbie' off shelf. Fair play, gunshops are business's, not there to draw attention to design blunders, there to take your money -
IMO the reason folk like the 99 is because it has a small piston and just enough spring (well for 10.5 typically) and like it or not, not many people actually have the upper body strength to shoot medium weight rifles consistently for long, certainly not off hand.
You don't have to convince me that the 99 is overrated , it's well known on here I hate anything that comes out the HW factory (and Germany come to think of it), my comment was meant to be more tongue in cheek than appraisal, if the guy likes his .177 HW99, then why is he even bothering to ask what would be a nice rifle in.22, surely another 99? if you like something that much then you're going to stick with what you like, your comment it very true about certain tuners, I know a few years ago Tony at SFS saying he wouldn't even stock the 99 let alone recommend it or tune it but now he can't tune them quick enough but if people are going to flash their cash at him he's going to take it, we'd all do the same in his situation.