Thread: Best Budget Knife Sharpener

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Probably not what you want to hear but perservering with stones until you can get a decent edge is worth it.

Nothing ever gets them as sharp as stones and a strop for me.

Maybe I should try a decent stone ... have a really cheap horrible one at teh moment, I found this is well which is a great way to get an accurate angle I'd imagine
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Shar...e-perfect-bla/

Also if I want to get a strop ... any recommendations??

Quote Originally Posted by Funnybucker View Post
    Maybe I should try a decent stone ... have a really cheap horrible one at teh moment, I found this is well which is a great way to get an accurate angle I'd imagine
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Shar...e-perfect-bla/

Also if I want to get a strop ... any recommendations??
    Make one. All you really need is a lump of wood and an old belt or piece of leather.

There's a decent enough thread on them here. It's effectively just leather glued to wood. Mine are anyway.

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/m...-strop.640503/

If you don't have an old belt or leather scrap let me know, I have a box of off cuts and a couple of old belts; I'm sure I can sort you something out.

Quote Originally Posted by new_to_this View Post

If you don't have an old belt or leather scrap let me know, I have a box of off cuts and a couple of old belts; I'm sure I can sort you something out.
    Unfortunately I do ... I have quite a few belts in my wardrobe that I'd hoped I may possibly fit into again one day ... maybe now I've found and alternative use for them ..... Don't know whether to put a smiley or a sad emoji with that

Slightly more seriously cheers for that .. very useful !!!!

Hello to All,

WRT to an economy strop, make one from some thick cardboard - 4" x 20" is a good size.

Apply fine abrasive/polish of your choice (MAAS is a good general purpose polish, easily available from Lakeland).

Lay the 'strop' on a flat surface and have at it.

I have a couple of these cardboard strops in the kitchen, one is sprayed with 20 micron diamond, the other 1 micron diamond, and I find them very useful.

These cardboard strops last for a surprising while - when they get sh!t-shaped, bin them and make a new one.

You don't have to worry about nicking the surface of these like you would with a leather strop

Have fun & a good Bank Holiday

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Funnybucker View Post
    Unfortunately I do ... I have quite a few belts in my wardrobe that I'd hoped I may possibly fit into again one day ... maybe now I've found and alternative use for them ..... Don't know whether to put a smiley or a sad emoji with that

Slightly more seriously cheers for that .. very useful !!!!
    You're very welcome.

Stones and strops, still the best way to get a good edge.

And I know that belt feeling all too well!

I needed something now and before I decide what to get for the longer term picked one of these up today
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...e-coarse/6856c

Do i use water or anything else with one of these or just use it dry???

Just a small amount of water, enough to fill the pits.