Thread: Best Budget Knife Sharpener

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by new_to_this View Post

If you don't have an old belt or leather scrap let me know, I have a box of off cuts and a couple of old belts; I'm sure I can sort you something out.
    Unfortunately I do ... I have quite a few belts in my wardrobe that I'd hoped I may possibly fit into again one day ... maybe now I've found and alternative use for them ..... Don't know whether to put a smiley or a sad emoji with that

Slightly more seriously cheers for that .. very useful !!!!

Hello to All,

WRT to an economy strop, make one from some thick cardboard - 4" x 20" is a good size.

Apply fine abrasive/polish of your choice (MAAS is a good general purpose polish, easily available from Lakeland).

Lay the 'strop' on a flat surface and have at it.

I have a couple of these cardboard strops in the kitchen, one is sprayed with 20 micron diamond, the other 1 micron diamond, and I find them very useful.

These cardboard strops last for a surprising while - when they get sh!t-shaped, bin them and make a new one.

You don't have to worry about nicking the surface of these like you would with a leather strop

Have fun & a good Bank Holiday

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by Funnybucker View Post
    Unfortunately I do ... I have quite a few belts in my wardrobe that I'd hoped I may possibly fit into again one day ... maybe now I've found and alternative use for them ..... Don't know whether to put a smiley or a sad emoji with that

Slightly more seriously cheers for that .. very useful !!!!
    You're very welcome.

Stones and strops, still the best way to get a good edge.

And I know that belt feeling all too well!

I needed something now and before I decide what to get for the longer term picked one of these up today
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-stee...e-coarse/6856c

Do i use water or anything else with one of these or just use it dry???

Just a small amount of water, enough to fill the pits.

Riffler,

Cheers for that !!!

meant to mention I made my own stop the other night as well, used a piece of wood and cut the belt in half putting the hairy side up on one side and down on the other, having done a bit of research as well have got some fine car metal polish like autosol to put on the belt so it'll be interesting to see how it works out.