Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Budget Knife Sharpener

Best Budget Knife Sharpener

Any recommendations for the best "budget" knife sharpener????

I was looking at one of these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/AnySharp-Kn.../dp/B001DXVL6K

Do the "pull through" types just destroy your knife as each time it removes quite a bit of the blade ... I saw a picture a while back where you could see what the shape of the knife used to be and it lost a good 1/4" over time.

I'd ideally like something that puts a recognised angle on the knife as I'm useless at guessing what it'd be with a stone and want something that's relatively easy to use.

I'd like it sharp but I don't want to spend ages on it and aren't necessarily looking for perfection / a razor but just a good reliable and everyday usable edge, the idea of say the Lansky system and changing the grit 4 times ... if I'm honest I'm not that obsessive about it but totally understand if that is what someone wants.

Any suggestions much appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Funnybucker View Post

Do the "pull through" types just destroy your knife as each time it removes quite a bit of the blade ... I saw a picture a while back where you could see what the shape of the knife used to be and it lost a good 1/4" over time.

I'd ideally like something that puts a recognised angle on the knife as I'm useless at guessing what it'd be with a stone and want something that's relatively easy to use.

I'd like it sharp but I don't want to spend ages on it and aren't necessarily looking for perfection / a razor but just a good reliable and everyday usable edge, the idea of say the Lansky system and changing the grit 4 times ... if I'm honest I'm not that obsessive about it but totally understand if that is what someone wants.

Go with the lansky system, you won't look back. Personally I don't use all the grits. Use them to get the desired angle then just give it a tickle as required with the fine stone.

I have a Lansky system. you only use the different grades once . once you have got the edge you want you only use the finest one to maintain the edge or a strop unless you damaged the edge ,then you may need to use two or more grades to get it back to a good edge.

there is a cheaper version on the same idea of the Lansky .https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fixed-Angle.../dp/B014Y5P2NG goigle the name Ruixin. There may be others too. another here https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GBVWPKK?psc=1

a few people on here have them.

a bladetec types sharpener will kill your blade as it shaves the metal off rather than grind.

Snock posted a good guide to using stones in the stickies above

I'd go with one of the diamond folding ones off the bay,
    I recently bought one of the "pen" style ones to carry around & it does a very reasonable edge but it's double ended so the stone is a bit short for long blades at only maybe 50mm.

I've got a Lansky set but, for some reason I can only get an edge about 30% of the time I use it

I use the bottom of a mug empty of course. Surprisingly good.

Ceramic cross-sticks...

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by Telephonepete View Post
    I use the bottom of a mug empty of course. Surprisingly good.
    Mmm, interesting. Are you referring to the rough band around the perimeter ?
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Mmm, interesting. Are you referring to the rough band around the perimeter ?
    Yes. It's ceramic .unless it's plastic

NewPaul is offline Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    Yes. It's ceramic .unless it's plastic
    Just off to give it a go
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177, SMK Victory CP2 .22

Quote Originally Posted by Funnybucker View Post

Yep they take off too much steel

Spyderco Sharpmaker probably easiest to use reliable sharpener for non knife sharpeny folk

Softer knives like Mora , Eka Folders respond best to light frequent touch up. If interested in knives go to British Blades, learn how to convex and strop edges. If buying cheaper knives than cheap Gerber, CRKT, etc, you won;t get them sharp as the steel is either incorrectly heat treated, or not made of anything sufficient to hold or even take an edge.
    For airgunners, Mora Eka cheaper Bucks are the kinda places to look, if this helps. A minimum blade material is stuff like Sandvik 12c27 (Mora), 420HC (Buck), AUS 8 (various) and some of the newer chinese steels which I'm not that up on, which can be similar in qualities, but not all are !
    For the money the Swedish have outdoor knives nailed, as I've said twice above -
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Scandi edges: Handheld sharpening stone.

Micro bevels: Sharpening jig like this: http://barx.org/diverse/knife_sharpening_jig.jpg

In my experience, nothing beats a stone - it's worth learning how to use one - you'll never use anything else once you get the hang of it

All of the above.

Edge pro
    Wicked edge
    Takes all the voodoo out but pricey.
    Better than the lansky styles
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Cheers for everyone's input .... much appreciated!!!!

Does anyone have one of these that bighit linked to (where's a thumbs up emoji when you need one) and if so are they any good??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GBVWPKK?psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    In my experience, nothing beats a stone - it's worth learning how to use one - you'll never use anything else once you get the hang of it
    India oilstone, learn how to use it, much more satisfying than a pull through thingy which are ok for the wife to use on the Sunday roast knife.