Thread: Reducing my rifles to two.

Reducing my rifles to two.

My last pcp has already gone.

Someone is interested in my Walther LGV Spezial,and my FWB 300s will soon be up for sale. Never thought I would sell them but I'm too decrepit to shoot them offhand these days.

I will be left with two recoiling springers: my 99s in 22 which needs a little attention but is more accurate than anything else I have ever tried, and my LGV in 177 which is the best gun in that calibre I have owned apart from an LGU which I moved on because of the weight.

My only doubt is about the LGV. It shoots really well, but the trigger, compared the Rekord on the 99s is not all I would want it to be.

So that might eventually go as well. But I can't for the life of me think what would replace it. I've had TXs, HW 97, 77, 95, 98, 35, and 80, and not one of the aforementioned could touch the LGV for accuracy.

I've thought about trying another Weihrauch and short stroking it. I've even considered getting another of the highly overrated 95s, buying a full length 85 barrel from German and putting a slim steel 200mm barrel weight on it. Or maybe a HW77 with full length barrel.

But something always tells me I would regret selling the LGV, and that I should just put up with the trigger on it.

What do you springer boys reckon?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Listen to that nagging feeling and keep the LGV :-)
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

NewPaul is online now Jack Hargreaves lookalike --- How
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

Someone is interested in my Walther LGV Spezial,and my FWB 300s will soon be up for sale. Never thought I would sell them but I'm too decrepit to shoot them offhand these days.

I will be left with two recoiling springers: my 99s in 22 which needs a little attention but is more accurate than anything else I have ever tried, and my LGV in 177 which is the best gun in that calibre I have owned apart from an LGU which I moved on because of the weight.

My only doubt is about the LGV. It shoots really well, but the trigger, compared the Rekord on the 99s is not all I would want it to be.

So that might eventually go as well. But I can't for the life of me think what would replace it. I've had TXs, HW 97, 77, 95, 98, 35, and 80, and not one of the aforementioned could touch the LGV for accuracy.

I've thought about trying another Weihrauch and short stroking it. I've even considered getting another of the highly overrated 95s, buying a full length 85 barrel from German and putting a slim steel 200mm barrel weight on it. Or maybe a HW77 with full length barrel.

But something always tells me I would regret selling the LGV, and that I should just put up with the trigger on it.

Sounds to me like you've answered your own question Keep the LGV. If you struggled to to shoot a 77 offhand before, why would you get another one ? It's tough when you have to make decisions based on physical abilities as we can easily and understandably go into denial mode. How about a HW30s but, keep the LGV and 99s if you can.
    HW77K .22, HW100KT .22, HW95K .22. AA TX200 MK3 .22. Crosman Ratcher 2250XL .22 AA S410 MK3 .177. HW80 .25 HW30S .22. Pistols: Walther CP88 .177, Hatsan Mod25 Supercharger .22, HW45 Silver Star .177, Webley Alecto .177

Quote Originally Posted by NewPaul View Post
    Sounds to me like you've answered your own question Keep the LGV. If you struggled to to shoot a 77 offhand before, why would you get another one ? It's tough when you have to make decisions based on physical abilities as we can easily and understandably go into denial mode. How about a HW30s but, keep the LGV and 99s if you can.
    'Tis what I would do.

But, as a '95 fan, wouldn't write that idea off.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Sorry. Didn't make myself clear.

I don't have the temerity to shoot recoiling springers offhand. Well the 99s sometimes, but the LGV is heavy. I have considered getting another HW30s though.

I was actually referring to the Feinwerkbau 300s and Walther LGV Spezial, which are old, low powered, 10m match rifles with diopter sights. Beautiful guns, engineered to a superb standard, but extremely heavy.
    Arthur

Yes, get another 30S, then.

But don't EVER sell the FWB. Even if you only shoot it occasionally and have to shoot off a rest. A marvel of engineering excellence and landmark rifle. Got to be a keeper.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

I would keep the LGV Spezial, Arthur. It's 10lbs heft is easily neutralised by a bench and a comfy chair. I used all three against paper and metal at 15 and 20m last weekend. You can have a good old play with 10m match rifles, especially this one.
    Last edited by Drew451; 23-05-2017 at 11:17 PM.

Keep the Spezial.

Remove the barrel shroud and internal stock weight and you'll have a handy and lightweight rifle (sub 7 lbs) which is built to a higher standard than anything in the last 30 years. (Here's an old AVA thread with some weight weights etc).

The stock weight needs to be replaced with something dimensionally similar because it locates the cocking arm in the piston, whilst the shroud could be replaced with an ally version if you find naked/skinny barrels visually offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yes, get another 30S, then.

But don't EVER sell the FWB. Even if you only shoot it occasionally and have to shoot off a rest. A marvel of engineering excellence and landmark rifle. Got to be a keeper.
    I too would keep the FWB, buy a little bipod for it, and shoot off a bench/table.

Thanks for the advice boys.

The Spezial is already as good as gone. I have given my word.

The Fwb is not yet up for sale and can still be saved.

The problem is that I have got the bug for air pistols and although I have three nice springers (a HW45, and two FWB LP 80s, one of them as good as mint), I am hankering after a match pcp - probably second hand as I can't go the full 1.5 grand for a new one unless my wife suddenly becomes the most supportive partner in the world.
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

I'm not sure how a rifle can be as accurate as you've mentioned with a trigger you're not comfortable with? For me a trigger set up just how you like is everything.

You can learn to use a trigger you aren't happy with over time and get the best out of it.

The Walther trigger isn't bad, but I much prefer the feel of the Rekord.
    Arthur

Arthur,

My LGV Olympia has a creepy trigger

Walther filled in the adjuster hole with some epoxy like filler, so I can't get rid of the creep

I will get it done one day (send it Wonky Donky), but as you say, you can adapt - I just tell myself it's a roll-over trigger, and in a few rounds I don't notice the creep so much.

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

A cheaper option may be getting the Walther trigger fettled.
    Having said that,i love the HW30S as for me it ticks all the boxes.
    Its light and can be carried without it hindering you.
    Its very pointable,and is accurate to 25 yards without any holdover.
    Its very accurate with very little recoil,and perfect set up with a quality 4x40.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/7192...21379/?fref=ts Rapid 7,HW100kt .177,Theoben Fenman, BSA Goldstar,Daystate HW30S shrouded and tuned, HW99S (Paul Short tuned)

Yes, Bob, I've had the HW30s and should never have sold it.
    Arthur