Thread: Tracker gas ram replacement

Tracker gas ram replacement

I have a .22 Webley Tracker that has a Theoben gas ram I had installed years ago.m I noticed it was shooting pretty weak and ran it over the chrono and found its only shooting @ 8 ft lbs now, so the old ram has lost power. I am going to get another ram for it but was wondering if I should just get another .22 ram or get a .177 ram to up the power a bit? I would like it shooting close to 10-12 ft lb. I hear various thing about doing this so its hard to say if it will up the power and still be a good shooter or make the gun harsh. I plan on getting the ram from Airgunspares as they seem to be the only one with them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by EdSIII View Post
    I have a .22 Webley Tracker that has a Theoben gas ram I had installed years ago.m I noticed it was shooting pretty weak and ran it over the chrono and found its only shooting @ 8 ft lbs now, so the old ram has lost power. I am going to get another ram for it but was wondering if I should just get another .22 ram or get a .177 ram to up the power a bit? I would like it shooting close to 10-12 ft lb. I hear various thing about doing this so its hard to say if it will up the power and still be a good shooter or make the gun harsh. I plan on getting the ram from Airgunspares as they seem to be the only one with them anymore.
    I guess your not in the UK? If you are in the UK you may want to change your choice of a .177 ram in the .22 as it will be over 12ftlbs .

If your not in the UK then it should be fine.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    I guess your not in the UK? If you are in the UK you may want to change your choice of a .177 ram in the .22 as it will be over 12ftlbs .

If your not in the UK then it should be fine.
    Yes, I am in the US, so no limits on power levels here

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Try replacing it with a spring tuning kit as if I've read right in the past, the Tracker wasn't capable of doing 12ftp without it self destructing, as you can tell the ram has lost pressure, just like all the rams I've used in the past, so why replace it with another ram for it too do the same in the future, a spring kit will do a better job.

Just my thoughts.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

The internals of the Webley tracker are almost identical to the osprey that it came from. These also shared components from the Webley hawk.

7-8 ftlbs is all they do, yours may be working fine. They didn't respond well to power upgrades.

Fitted a "too strong" spring to my hawk II unintentionally. It was incredibly harsh and actually overpowered the trigger sears and went off on its own!

Quote Originally Posted by leetrenchard View Post
    The internals of the Webley tracker are almost identical to the osprey that it came from. These also shared components from the Webley hawk.

7-8 ftlbs is all they do, yours may be working fine. They didn't respond well to power upgrades.

Fitted a "too strong" spring to my hawk II unintentionally. It was incredibly harsh and actually overpowered the trigger sears and went off on its own!
    Hawks are prone to doing that.. even worse was the spring stretching the thin steel and ovalling the retaining pin hole at the back of the cylinder
    Donald

Yeah, I have a .177 Barnett Spitfire (Tracker) that I just converted to a gas ram as it was twangy as hell with the stock spring and now its shooting about 9 ft lb and smooth, whch is what I would expect out of the .177. My .22 Tracker was originally shooting about 10 ftlb with the Theoben ram but that's obviously dropped off as its at 8ftlb now. I considered going back to a spring and trying to tune it well but I would have to get a new barrel weight and guide as that was lost after the ram conversion years ago. I sure like these webley sidelevers though, also have a .177 Osprey with a Williams peep on it. None of the Webley sidelevers are that common here in the USA, I got all but the Osprey from guys in the UK years ago.