Thread: How quiet can a gun get?

How quiet can a gun get?

Idle curiosity really...

What's the quietest air rifle out there?

I was wondering about getting as quiet as possible a springer and would like to know which that might be, but also, what is the absolute quietest pcp (assuming they are quieter than springers).

I was wondering if I could get away with some silent back-garden shooting without upsetting the neighbours...

Quietest springer - HW30s...

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    Idle curiosity really...

What's the quietest air rifle out there?

I was wondering about getting as quiet as possible a springer and would like to know which that might be, but also, what is the absolute quietest pcp (assuming they are quieter than springers).

I was wondering if I could get away with some silent back-garden shooting without upsetting the neighbours...
    Most pcp guns are very quiet most of the noise would come from hitting the target but i would go for HW100 in any format

I have got an adapter from best fittings for my hw 97 you just unscrew the end with an Allen key then swap it so it has a thread so you can fit any Silencer I had a spare off my hw 100 so it's just as quiet the loudest noise is the pellet hitting the target

clunge is offline Buys suspicious amounts of hand sanitiser
    .22s are generally quieter than .177s.
    Longer barrels are generally quieter than shorter.
    Efficient electronic actions are quieter than inefficient or mechanical.
    Smooth Twist barrels are theoretically quieter (and more efficient) than fully rifled.
    Underpowered rifles are quieter than full 12fpe.

Based on this, a 24" FX smooth twist .22 barrel on a Daystate Mk4 MCTis action shooting at 6-9fpe through a Huggett, Weihrauch or Twink moderator at a big pile of soft sand is what you should be looking at.

Just put my ear against one of my cabinets, absolutely no sound from any of them at the moment. Seriously as said it is hard to beat an HW 100 with a Weihrauch silencer. Of course the lower the power the less noise, as someone said the HW 30 springer at 7 to 8 ft lbs makes little noise.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Noise Supression

Hi,
    In my experience the biggest noise problems have come from the pellets hitting the target.

I found a bale of hay very good at supressing the impact noise.....

If you find the right combination of silencer and gun you will be amazed.

My Brocock Concept .177 and a Huggett is virtually silent.
    Without the Huggett it is a noisy gun.
    Last edited by gingernut; 26-05-2017 at 01:11 PM.

the quietest gun I`ve had was a Vulcan tactical with a custom made carbon silencer, all you heard was the click of the hammer on firing, much quieter than the weihrauch or huggett when fitted to the same gun. There are some very good silencer makers out there. As everyone else has said more noise on pellet hitting the target

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quietest springer I've shot is my .177 LGV with a small delrin moddy on the end.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post

Noise usally from pellet hitting backstop..put a 12x12 price of lead sheeting on some Wood for no Noise At All from backstop you can even hit it at 6 feet away and get no no Noise...the lead hitting lead can cells any noise out .use soft pellets such as air arms field for best effect

secretagentmole Guest
    The quietest gun I ever had was a Daystate Mk 3, coupled with a Hogan silencer a gnat farting was louder than that gun.

The problem is pellet striking the target and the noise of the pellet in flight, both of which were far louder than the gun ever was.
    Oh and it was a .177 too!