Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking up my first PCP tomorrow.

Picking up my first PCP tomorrow.

Right guys I'm in need of advice as I've never owned a PCP air rifle and I really dont want to damage it buy doing anything silly.

It's a Theoben MFR .22 should be mint and untouched as the fello says it's had less than 50 pells through it and just sat their from new.

What have I got not to do with say the bottle? Unscrewing? I'm not new to airguns just PCP's.

Is there a better pump than a hills? How long do the dry packs commonly last?

I've got many more Q's to follow no doubt..

By the way if you know my lady and she asks its £300, K.

I would save up another 150 or so and take your gun down to a reputable gunshop and buy a bottle with whip and guage.. you should get a 3l for that.. they will show you how to work it.
    Donald

secretagentmole Guest
    I would also buy a Combro chrono. Theobens are noted for people's attempts to improve them. Some successfully, others less so. Not uncommon for them to be a few ft lb over from the factory, let alone home tuners.

There are some noted exceptions such as KevG, there are others on here who are noted Rapid tuners as well!

There's no way I'd fill a PCP with wet air from a pump - nor knowingly buy one that had been pumped.

Are you collecting the Rapid from the seller? Maybe he can show you how to fill it?

Or where's your nearest airgun club? Could be well worth a visit to learn the do's & donuts.

Are look into the bottle and whip from my local gun shops, got two.. I've had a combro for a bit great bits of kit for the pric, Helped get my pro sport spot on after I tinkered her.

She's never been pumped so to speak, I know people who've only ever used a pump no problems.

Yeah I'm collecting he seems like a knowledgeable lad got lots of airguns. I did say it was my first pcp.

Cheers guys.

Takes a long time to fill a mfr bottle with a pump hope your gym fit and not very advisable due to moisture ect nothing much in a mfr internals to rust like but can also damage you valve with debri / dust save your self the hassle use a bottle even if a shop or club fills it for you you will get tons of shots out of a fill

secretagentmole Guest
    Pumps are ok. Most have moisture traps.Try this for pump inspiration!

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/Us...mp_May_2006/30

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    Pumps are ok. Most have moisture traps.Try this for pump inspiration!

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/Us...mp_May_2006/30
    Moisture traps don't mean crap ESP when pumping a buddy bottle up the pumps don't last right long either a 280 cc buddy bottle holds a lot of air and pumping up to 230 bar puts tons of strain on them

A tank isn't that much more expensive than a pump.

Go for dry air and quick filling with no counting and no sweating is my advice.

By the time you have pumped up that bottle you won't feel like doing it again.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dave goodall View Post
    Moisture traps don't mean crap ESP when pumping a buddy bottle up the pumps don't last right long either a 280 cc buddy bottle holds a lot of air and pumping up to 230 bar puts tons of strain on them
    Only if you use the pump incorrectly. Pump for 10 minutes. Let it rest for 5!
    Pump for 10 minutes, bleed air, clears moisture trap. Let pump cool for 5 minutes, start again. Not difficult.

300bar bottle.

Always use a dive bottle and never a pump ,seen to much damage caused through foreign matter getting in , believe me on that

Quote Originally Posted by dave goodall View Post
    Most PCP tubes probably hold as much air as a 280cc MFR bottle, if not more and why would you fill to 230bar unless it's FAC Theoben recommend 200Bar, It's written on the owners leaflet.

OP with the MFR bottle there is no faffing around dry firing just slowly unscrew it until you hear it hiss then spin it off, If you don't get the owners leaflet with the rifle & want a copy, drop me a pm with your e-mail & I'll scan a copy over.

thanks for all the advice guys.. much appreciated.

cheers angrybear are take you up on that offer if it hasn't.

i shall report back if im happy and brought it, its been a near 20 year wait for a rapid...

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    Most PCP tubes probably hold as much air as a 280cc MFR bottle, if not more and why would you fill to 230bar unless it's FAC Theoben recommend 200Bar, It's written on the owners leaflet.

OP with the MFR bottle there is no faffing around dry firing just slowly unscrew it until you hear it hiss then spin it off, If you don't get the owners leaflet with the rifle & want a copy, drop me a pm with your e-mail & I'll scan a copy over.
    Show me a pcp that uses 280cc of air with out a buddy bottle ( never mind most ) and Theoben / impact started using micro core regs what worked off 230 bar most regs out there won't be many standerd most have been through Kev G s hand and his regs run off 230 bar of air yes Theobens leaflet recomended 200 bar but how old and out dated is the leaflet nothing confusing about it really only confusing part is your claim it to be fac if filled to 230 bar it's regulated what diff does the 230 bar make if unregulated 230 would give hell of a lot less ftlb