Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing the regulator system from a bsa superten

Removing the regulator system from a bsa superten

I HAVE A BSA SUPERTEN CARBINE .177 CALIBRE SHORT BARREL WITH THE LARGE BSA MODERATOR ON IT. THAT WILL ONLY PRODUCE 8.7 ft lbs M/E WITH 10.65 grn H&N MAGNUMS, THE AIR TUBE / REGULATOR WAS SERVICED BY ROB LANE WHO APPARRENTLY SET THE REGULATOR PRESSURE AT 75 BARS ? ( ALTHOUGH I HAVE NO PAPERWORK TO CONFIRM THIS. AND HIS PHONE NO LONGER RECEIVES WORK RELATED CALLS ) NO MATTER WHAT STRENGTH HAMMER SPRING I FIT TO IT AND WITH MANY VARIATIONS OF DIFFERENT PRE-LOAD SHIMS. IT STILL PRODUCES THE SAME 8.7 ft lbs POWER OUTPUT. I WAS WONDERING IF I REMOVED THE REGULATOR ALTOGETHER FROM THE AIR TUBE WOULD THE GUN WOULD STILL WORK OK ?
    AND WOULD IT BE EASIER TO ADJUST THE POWER WITH THE HAMMER SPRING AND SHIMS STRENGTH JUST ACTING ON THE EXHAUST VALVE SYSTEM ?
    I WOULD EXPECT TO HAVE THE USUAL SHOT/POWER CURVE INITIALLY AND WHEN THE AIR RESOVOIR PRESSURE RUNS DOWN, THE SAME OF AN UN-REGULATED GUN AS IN MY AA410

TO ALL YOU OTHER PCP TINKERERS WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS !!

FAILING THIS I WILL HAVE TO CONCEED AND SUFFER THE COST OF HAVING IT COMPLETELY OVERHAULED BY A PROFESSIONAL AIRGUN SMITH
    Last edited by metalmickey; 28-05-2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: THREAD INFORMATION UPDATED

After seeing your for sale add on this the other day I was tempted to make a offer but other things came up as always when I get some spending money anyway have you looked on youtube? there is a few vids on there I cant see why it wont work without the regulator but there was one on how to adjust the regulator hardest part looked like removing the stock let us no the outcome Failing that contact T R ROBB he used to do a dvd on these good luck

Dont waste your time trying to run a s10 with no reg.

Just get the reg serviced and set it to the calibre and barrel length, pretty easy to do really.

Hi Rabid As stated in the thread starter I sent the air tube up to Rob Lane of air gun design to concept regulator systems. to have the air tube and regulator set up. I gave him a letter with all the gun details. so he could set it as it should be (he said 75 bars pressure) After talking to him he said I should then have to reset the hammer spring power with shims to obtain the final legal sub 12 ft lbs muzzle energy This is why I asked the posing question before I send the whole gun off to an airgunsmith and spend another £125+ on it to have it all re-set up.
    Last edited by metalmickey; 28-05-2017 at 03:19 PM.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Just adjust the reg pressure, can't be that hard.
    Also check you don't have a buggered transfer port / leaking port. Also remove the barrel and see if it has a very tight choke, burred TP, etc.
    the valving would be designed to work around 70-80 BAR, so it's going to be prettty crap and need a relatively huge amount of hammer at 200 BAR, so not a great idea if you are not adept at doing mods (and if you are, you'd just adjust the reg).
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmickey View Post
    Hi Rabid As stated in the thread starter I sent the air tube up to Rob Lane of air gun design to concept regulator systems. to have the air tube and regulator set up. I gave him a letter with all the gun details. so he could set it as it should be (he said 75 bars pressure) After talking to him he said I should then have to reset the hammer spring power with shims to obtain the final legal sub 12 ft lbs muzzle energy This is why I asked the posing question before I send the gun off to an airgunsmith and spend another £125+ on it.
    Sending you some contact details.

Rebuilding the reg should not cost £125!
    Last edited by secretagentmole; 27-05-2017 at 09:20 AM.

I HAVE A BSA SUPERTEN THAT WILL ONLY PRODUCE 8.7 ft lbs M/E WITH 10.65 grn H&N MAGNUMS, THE AIR TUBE / REGULATOR WAS SERVICED BY ROB LANE WHO APPARRENTLY SET THE REGULATOR PRESSURE AT 75 BARS. ( ALTHOUGH I HAVE NO PAPERWORK TO CONFIRM THIS. AND HIS PHONE NO LONGER RECEIVES WORK RELATED CALLS ) NO MATTER WHAT STRENGTH HAMMER SPRING I FIT TO IT AND WITH MANY VARIATIONS OF DIFFERENT PRE-LOAD SHIMS. IT STILL PRODUCES THE SAME 8.7 ft lbs POWER OUTPUT. I WAS WONDERING IF I REMOVED THE REGULATOR ALTOGETHER FROM THE AIR TUBE WOULD THE GUN WOULD STILL WORK OK ?
    AND WOULD IT BE EASIER TO ADJUST THE POWER WITH THE HAMMER SPRING AND SHIMS STRENGTH JUST ACTING ON THE EXHAUST VALVE SYSTEM ?
    I WOULD EXPECT TO HAVE THE USUAL SHOT / POWER CURVE INITIALLY AND WHEN THE AIR RESOVOIR PRESSURE RUNS DOWN, THE SAME OF AN UN-REGULATED GUN AS IN MY AA410 ?

TO ALL YOU OTHER PCP TINKERERS WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS !!

FAILING THIS I WILL HAVE TO CONCEED AND SUFFER THE COST OF HAVING IT COMPLETELY OVERHAULED BY A PROFESSIONAL AIRGUN SMITH
    Is it the carbine or full length .177 S10? Let me now and I will ask JB what the regulator pressure setting should be. James

JB told me that it sounds asif the .177 S10 is a carbne. These have a 10.5" barrel and the setting that he advised the factory to use for the UK market was approx 1600 psi (110 bars?). At 75 bars no amount of extra air volume by increasing hammer spring tension will raise velocity, just waste air he said.

Reg pressure is adjusted using shims beneath the heavy coil spring. It's not very straightforward, and my calculations (from memory!) had indicated that as little as .25mm can have a large effect on the reg pressure. You do need to check this using an appropriate pressure testing setup.

Perhaps your gun came back fitted with a .22 "cigar" unit instead of the .177?
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Apparently it is the carbine, hence why the reg pressure is wrong:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....7-cal-full-kit
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hi Rabid As stated in the thread starter I sent the air tube up to Rob Lane of air gun design to concept regulator systems. to have the air tube and regulator set up. I gave him a letter with all the gun details. so he could set it as it should be (he said 75 bars pressure) After talking to him he said I should then have to reset the hammer spring power with shims to obtain the final legal sub 12 ft lbs muzzle energy This is why I asked the posing question before I send the gun off to an airgunsmith and spend another £125+ on it.
    I would send it back to where it was worked on and ask them to set it to the correct pressure for a .177" carbine S10.

Bsa superten carbine short barrel .177 cal.

HI James I have tried to contact Rob Lane who set the reg up initially and re-sealed the air tube but unfortunately his phone is on an automatic answering recorded message saying that he has ceased taking airgun related work calls due to an accident. I think that is going to be a dead end. So I am now pursuing other alternatives. Many thanks for all you guys out their in the forum for you replies, I am now much the wiser but less in wallet thickness. All the best Mickey

HI James I have tried to contact Rob Lane who set the reg up initially and re-sealed the air tube but unfortunately his phone is on an automatic answering recorded message saying that he has ceased taking airgun related work calls due to an accident. I think that is going to be a dead end. So I am now pursuing other alternatives. Many thanks for all you guys out their in the forum for you replies, I am now much the wiser but less in wallet thickness. All the best Mickey

At least now you know the correct regulator pressure it should be easy to find someone with a regulator test jobbie to reset it. Cant be too expensive?

BSA SUPERTEN CARBINE .177 cal

I HAVE NOW BEEN IN CONTACT WITH DEL KAYE, WHO I HAVE BEEN RECCOMMENDED TO. HE IS GOING TO RESET THE REGULATOR PRESSURE FOR ME. SO ALL BEING WELL THE GUN SHOULD BE SORTED WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO AND AT A VERY REASONABLE COST. MANY THANKS TO MIKE (secretagentmole) FOR PUTTING ME IN CONTACT WITH DEL. TURNS OUT WE WERE BOTH WORKING AROUND THE SAME MANOR IN THE MOTOR TRADE A WHILE BACK.

I HAVE NOW BEEN IN CONTACT WITH DEL KAYE, WHO I HAVE BEEN RECCOMMENDED TO. HE IS GOING TO RESET THE REGULATOR PRESSURE FOR ME. SO ALL BEING WELL THE GUN SHOULD BE SORTED WITHIN THE NEXT WEEK OR SO AND AT A VERY REASONABLE COST. MANY THANKS TO MIKE (secretagentmole) FOR PUTTING ME IN CONTACT WITH DEL. TURNS OUT WE WERE BOTH WORKING AROUND THE SAME MANOR IN THE MOTOR TRADE A WHILE BACK.
    Do you mean Del konarzynski ?