Thread: Best midrange scope for low light hunting

Best midrange scope for low light hunting

I've got 3 MTC's and 3 Falcons at the moment (Viper x2, EVX, Menace x2, Merlin). And an IOR on my .308. The IOR is excellent in low light conditions, the MTC's struggle the most.
    Somewhere I read that Nikko Stirling Panamax is amazingly good at dusk and dawn, for less than a hundred pounds. Is that correct?
    And what are your favourite scopes for low light shooting?
    Many thanks, Louis

The best I've had was a vortex viper HS 2.5-10, my meopta Artemis is fogged so isn't showing full power, my Diamondback is great and the Nikon prostaff 4x32 I used to have was also good. All wipe the floor with hawks etc
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

barrel is online now Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Have to agree about the Nikon Prostaff's they are excellent scopes for not much cash, maybe Nikon will start doing mildot reticles as at the moment they seem to be missing a trick.

Kindest regards

Barrel
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    I've got 3 MTC's and 3 Falcons at the moment (Viper x2, EVX, Menace x2, Merlin). And an IOR on my .308. The IOR is excellent in low light conditions, the MTC's struggle the most.
    Somewhere I read that Nikko Stirling Panamax is amazingly good at dusk and dawn, for less than a hundred pounds. Is that correct?
    Many thanks, Louis
    This is my take on the Panamax.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....x-3-9x40-AO-IR

That said, I have not used it in very low light but compared to the Hawkes that I have been used to, (not much experience with other brands lately), I would say that size for size lens wise the Panamax is brighter/clearer in the same lighting conditions. Also, I'm finding the reticle to be similarly better too.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Depends what you judge as "mid-range" ?
    If we're saying £250 ish then I'd be looking at Nikon, Vortex and Bushnell. Optically and more expensive, the lower end Meopta's are very good but are parallaxed out to 100m on average. Up to the user whether or not you "adjust" the objective lens. Also in that price bracket are the lower end Leupold's a Which are also excellent and should be considered.
    Having said all this, the Nikko Stirling Panamax range represent excellent value for money. I use the 3-9x40AO but I bet the larger long range models are interesting !
    “An airgun or two”………

secretagentmole Guest
    Hawkes are good, 50mm objective lens ones especially!

Don't discount the old Simmons WhiteTailClassic range for lowlight work, brilliant glass but px @ 100y & a basic 'x' reticle (no bells or whistles/ sidewheels etc. just good quality)

Or try Burris, great lowlight optics unfortunately px @ 100y on most but easily adjusted.
    I've a Burris Fullfield II (3-9x40, sub £200 posted from USA - deals can be found cheaper ) as the cheaper and a Burris EuroDiamond (3-10x40) more expensive scope, conventional airrifle branded scopes cannot compare optically or with build

Rich.

Ps. Sold both my meopta Artemis 6x42's & kept Burris

Low light scopes

I have a falcon m18 first focal plane that is amazing in low light conditions, I swear its brighter through the scope on low mag than with the naked eye. I would recommend one with the mildot reticle.
    mk2 rapid.22

Many thanks, Louis
    The problem with this type of question is that often it's down to personal interpretation.
    First as Blackrider said "Depends what you judge as mid-range", Second what do you call "low light" or even "Dawn & Dusk", evening becomes twilight-dusk-night but one blends in to the next.
    Also the exact model and magnification being used to judge like against like.

My Sidewinder 4-16x50 is fantastic...right up to the point that it isn't & I need the NV

My RFD swears by his N-S Diamond LR.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keithy View Post
    I have a falcon m18 first focal plane that is amazing in low light conditions, I swear its brighter through the scope on low mag than with the naked eye. I would recommend one with the mildot reticle.
    I find that with my Hawkes....

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    This is my take on the Panamax.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....x-3-9x40-AO-IR

That said, I have not used it in very low light but compared to the Hawkes that I have been used to, (not much experience with other brands lately), I would say that size for size lens wise the Panamax is brighter/clearer in the same lighting conditions. Also, I'm finding the reticle to be similarly better too.
    Nice, many thanks @ Portzy.
    And many thanks for all the other feedback as well. @ angrybear, yes, I agree that it is a tricky question, as it is quite vague. But the answers have been interesting.
    I went out hunting with my Bobcat/Viper combination tonight and I noticed that around 9.45pm, when the light was really starting to go, I could hardly see the bunny that had bolted towards the hedge and stopped before jumping into the hedge. The image was quite white, it was annoying. When I looked through my Delta Optical binos, I could see a lot better, but the bunny had gone of course. Anyway, I will test this with my Falcons as well.
    Cheers Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Depends what you judge as "mid-range" ?
    If we're saying £250 ish then I'd be looking at Nikon, Vortex and Bushnell. Optically and more expensive, the lower end Meopta's are very good but are parallaxed out to 100m on average. Up to the user whether or not you "adjust" the objective lens. Also in that price bracket are the lower end Leupold's a Which are also excellent and should be considered.
    Having said all this, the Nikko Stirling Panamax range represent excellent value for money. I use the 3-9x40AO but I bet the larger long range models are interesting !
    Thanks @ Blackrider, that's very useful info.

Nice, many thanks @ Portzy.
    And many thanks for all the other feedback as well. @ angrybear, yes, I agree that it is a tricky question, as it is quite vague. But the answers have been interesting.
    I went out hunting with my Bobcat/Viper combination tonight and I noticed that around 9.45pm, when the light was really starting to go, I could hardly see the bunny that had bolted towards the hedge and stopped before jumping into the hedge. The image was quite white, it was annoying. When I looked through my Delta Optical binos, I could see a lot better, but the bunny had gone of course. Anyway, I will test this with my Falcons as well.
    Cheers Louis
    Binos will always be better because they are on both eyes so twice the light & your brain gets twice the information