Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Diana

Worst Diana

I like old Diana rifles, but just spent two and a half hours working on one I would not want to own, the G80. Anyone vote for this or another ?

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I like old Diana rifles, but just spent two and a half hours working on one I would not want to own, the G80. Anyone vote for this or another ?

Baz
    That's a Milbro, isn't it Baz? Not really a Diana.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Got Diana stamped on the top of cylinder, but could have been made by Milbro. Maybe this was just an abused one, I do get them. Took a while to get the trigger and sear to work properly. Made a polyurethane piston seal to replace the thin flimsy leather one. Don't know if there is some kind of spacer missing at the rear of the trigger group as it was sliding side to side when assembled. I made two spacers to hold it central.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Same as the 79 right ? If so, I thought my 79 was a bit crap too...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Diana G80 was the last gasp from Milbro, made in Scotland. I think the metal bits were the same as the 79, but the 80 stock had a cheek-piece and a rubber butt-plate.

It's not an 'Original' Diana made in Germany.

To be fair it was an inexpensive rifle, and should be compared to the BSA Meteor Super of the time. The G80 had a slightly better trigger than the Meteor. The 80 had a brief moment in the sun as the basis of the Airgunaid SP5 off the shelf 'tuned' rifle, which was the first spring powered rifle in .20 calibre. I think they squeezed 10 fpe out of it in this form.

Not to be confused with Original Dianas or RWS Dianas or the Weihrauch 80.

Yep, the G79 and G80 were Milbros, not at all fair to blame them on Mayer & Grammelspacher in Germany, the makers of real Dianas.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Got Diana stamped on the top of cylinder, but could have been made by Milbro. Maybe this was just an abused one, I do get them. Took a while to get the trigger and sear to work properly. Made a polyurethane piston seal to replace the thin flimsy leather one. Don't know if there is some kind of spacer missing at the rear of the trigger group as it was sliding side to side when assembled. I made two spacers to hold it central.

Baz
    Yeah---the trigger housing had a spacer to stop the housing moving. It could have been solved by using another pin, a bit like the earlier Diana 25's ( 1 pin for the trigger and 1 pin to secure the housing, compared to the Milbro--"one pin does both jobs" effort)

Oddly they do shot quite well-----but get rid of it before you get to like it.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Series 70 model 78

The much maligned Milbro!

I remember buying a cheap secondhand series 70 - model78, in about 1983, from a shop in Weymouth called Moto-Sails*...it was a terrible gun to work on with the most awkward single pin housing/trigger/sear arrangement but I still have fond memories of that gun as being a very good shooter!

*Moto-Sails was a great shop where you could see and purchase an incredible selection of stuff - cheap airguns, knives and fishing gear, oscilloscopes, massive Admiralty/naval binoculars, big laboratory microscopes and other very high end optical equipment, jerrycans, pots and pans, surplus clothing, tools...in fact you name it - Moto-sails had it!
    blah blah

It modern is allowed too: the 350
    It kicks like a mule. Though accuracy has lots of potency
    Owned one, sold it after first 20 shots
    ATB,
    yana

All the G series guns were rubbish
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Strangely enough, a friend of mine told me a few months ago that he has a freebie rifle for me.

It's a Milbro Diana.

I've not been to collect it yet.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Strangely enough, a friend of mine told me a few months ago that he has a freebie rifle for me.

It's a Milbro Diana.

I've not been to collect it yet.
    If it is a Series 70 Model 71 do collect it and I will swap it you for something or other springish.... That was the best one they made so I believe.

Like this one ... https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/for...09-1973-diana/

Check this out, nostalgia fiends...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/66438...ue+and+the+G79

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    The much maligned Milbro!

I remember buying a cheap secondhand series 70 - model78, in about 1983, from a shop in Weymouth called Moto-Sails*...it was a terrible gun to work on with the most awkward single pin housing/trigger/sear arrangement but I still have fond memories of that gun as being a very good shooter!

*Moto-Sails was a great shop where you could see and purchase an incredible selection of stuff - cheap airguns, knives and fishing gear, oscilloscopes, massive Admiralty/naval binoculars, big laboratory microscopes and other very high end optical equipment, jerrycans, pots and pans, surplus clothing, tools...in fact you name it - Moto-sails had it!
    Oscilloscopes are the best. No sci-fi film from before about 1974 would be without one of these awesome instruments. Gerald Cardew attached them to airguns to look at the boinging and buzzing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    If it is a Series 70 Model 71 do collect it and I will swap it you for something or other springish.... That was the best one they made so I believe.

Like this one ... https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/for...09-1973-diana/

Check this out, nostalgia fiends...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/66438...ue+and+the+G79
    Loving the description of the G2/5 pop-out pistol as "For accurate shooting".

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Loving the description of the G2/5 pop-out pistol as "For accurate shooting".
    Depends what the degree of accuracy is being demanded. One is reminded of a question about the accuracy of unguided bombs during the Gulf war in '91 ('smart' bombs were beloved of the media and the Pentagon PR machine)... the pilot of a B-52 which carried unguided munitions said 'Sure the bombs are accurate. They always hit the ground'.