Thread: Worst Diana

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    The Series 70 Model 71 was not bad, but it was basically the same powerplant as the Series 70 G79. This was imho, the nicest Milbro ever made, nothing special, no Olympic performer for sure, but I think better made and more powerful than the Meteor which was really its competition. Nice well shaped aluminium trigger, decent stock and a fine pointable plinker. Milbro (in Motherwell) were a solid enough engineering company. Unfortunately it was soon cheapened, plastic foresight replaces steel etc.

Sadly the G80 series, those of the awful plastic trigger (though I am told by devotees that its not bad if you can get one properly set up) were pretty appalling. The trigger unit was always loose, or worked loose pretty soon, stock screws split the stock, just badly conceived.

One must be fair to Milbro They were what they were, a opportunistic acquisition, seemingly with the complicity of Webey, of a competitor at that time on its knees, and I do not imagine for an instant they set out to produce world beating designs (though they had designers). Milbro were after mass sales of cheaply produced guns, as part of a general sporting products line. Thats what is interesting about the G79 in its original form, a lot of investment was put in to produce it, new plant, new designs, ad that the new dawn was unsustainable.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    One must be fair to Milbro They were what they were, a opportunistic acquisition, seemingly with the complicity of Webey, of a competitor at that time on its knees, and I do not imagine for an instant they set out to produce world beating designs (though they had designers). Milbro were after mass sales of cheaply produced guns, as part of a general sporting products line. Thats what is interesting about the G79 in its original form, a lot of investment was put in to produce it, new plant, new designs, ad that the new dawn was unsustainable.
    Fair points, Ollie. I don't suppose a German Milbro equivalent would have been any different in exploiting eg. BSA or Webley plant, designs etc, if the roles had been reversed. Imagine how galling that would have been for us Brits, to have the name of a great British company sullied by association with inferior products after losing a war. Talk about kicking a man when he's down!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Have just watched a G79, with no sights, sell for £260

A request though. I need a G79 or 80 for some spares ( hence said auction), after the barrel and linkage, internals and plastic trigger unit. So condition not important and cheaper the better. Anyone got one?

MILBRO Things

I've lost my Milbro "CUB" rear sight. Anyone got a spare up for sale or trade??