Thread: scope problem gggrrr ??

scope problem gggrrr ??

afternoon all so i got my brand new hw95k today.puts accushot 1 piece mount on then my richter optik 3-9x50 tightens all that down,goes into the garden at say 40ft at the most,pellets way low so up then up then up even more up to where its gone to tight cant turn up no more,yet still firing low,hows this ????.ta lads

Barrel droop. Could be that the breech seal is a bit too proud, forcing the barrel to point downwards. Check the barrel straightness with a straight edge against the main cylinder. It could be your mounts aren't seated properly, this can happen if the pin at the back of the mounts that fits into the hole on the cylinder protrudes too far. You may need to shim the rear of your mount to get the scope more aligned to the rifle - try thin plastic (old 35mm film or plastic bottle material cut to suit your scope mount).

Hope this helps.

start with a process of elimination:
    Was the scope on another rifle and worked with the settings around the mid point?
    Can you try another scope? Scope and mounts?
    Try turning the mounts round. Make sure there is nothing stopping the mounts mounting correctly into the scope grooves.
    Can you see any evidence of a droopy barrel? Can you put a straight edge on top of the breech area and see if the gap between the edge and barrel is consistent?

Might be a simple case of you needing to shim the scope mounts a tad.

Good luck
    Cheers, Phil

Agree with checking the easy things first. Turn the mounts around. If you have access to a chrono, check the power. Is it grouping okay?

Ok lads thanks for that im going to take scope and mounts off then start again see how that goes,no neither mount or scope been on another gun all brand new stuff opened today.

Right think its sorted,i swapped scopes off my 99s onto this 97k and no probs sighted both in straight away,it.needs fine tuning the psyco tempramental bitch next door giving me evil eye,so i stopped but ill fine tune it at my permission on sunday.im wondering if 3-9x50 richter optik wasnt meant to fit accushot i piece mount yet same scope works champion on sportsmatch 1 piece mount ??.

that's normal. one must point the scope down for the line of sight to intercept the pellet trajectory. if it is too bad you have to shim more or bend the barrel.

all airguns should have 10 moa or even 20moa mounts in my opinion. I still don't get it why we have to point our erector tubes always way down (by adjusting the elevation turret)
    you have this nice large front objective, then a thin inner (erector tube) you waste light transmission and as you approach the outer part of the lens, quality goes down too.

just shim the scope, cut a 1cm wide stripe from a beer can,
    fold it 2 or 3x, stick it in under the scope in the rear scope ring. tighten the front ring first. don't overtighten the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by krisko View Post
    that's normal. one must point the scope down for the line of sight to intercept the pellet trajectory. if it is too bad you have to shim more or bend the barrel.

all airguns should have 10 moa or even 20moa mounts in my opinion. I still don't get it why we have to point our erector tubes always way down (by adjusting the elevation turret)
    you have this nice large front objective, then a thin inner (erector tube) you waste light transmission and as you approach the outer part of the lens, quality goes down too.

just shim the scope, cut a 1cm wide stripe from a beer can,
    fold it 2 or 3x, stick it in under the scope in the rear scope ring. tighten the front ring first. don't overtighten the rear.
    Or buy this http://eu.hawkeoptics.com/adjustable...11mm-high.html

Saves bending your scope tube or gouging it with metal shims