Thread: The best backyard rifle. European vs American tradition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    I've dabbled with the odd pump-up over the years, but always found them a lot of trouble for the end result. By the time you've pumped it and then gone through a totally separate sequence of actions to load it (and sometimes another set to cock it), you could get several shots off from a springer.

I'm not saying that rate of fire is everything, but when plinking I just want to throw a few bits of lead downrange with minimum fuss and effort.

Equally, when hunting, there often is not the time to go through all the motions required of a pump-up, while your quarry sits patiently waiting and in the hopefully unlikely need of a second shot, an inordinate delay is unacceptable.

On the other hand, if you enjoy the experience of using a pump-up, the who are we to disagree?
    All good points but for plinking I find 2-3 pumps are so easy I prefer it to the long hard pull of the barrel. In this country these tended to be the preferred hunting gun. It's biggest advantage is you can go into the field fully charged and stay that way all day, ready for a quick shot. Your shot also has the release of a pcp no special grip. It is just easier to shoot accurately especially in a hunting situation. It is a one shot pcp and I do hear you on the issue of a quick follow up. It to me was a cultural divide which was ended by the pcp, in the hunting mode, but maybe not for plinking?. The Mohawk Titan were interesting English models that were probably ended by the pcp.
    Last edited by 45flint; 28-05-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    All good points but for plinking I find 2-3 pumps are so easy I prefer it to the long hard pull of the barrel. In this country these tended to be the preferred hunting gun. It's biggest advantage is you can go into the field fully charged and stay that way all day, ready for a quick shot. Your shot also has the release of a pcp no special grip. It is just easier to shoot accurately especially in a hunting situation. It is a one shot pcp and I do hear you on the issue of a quick follow up. It to me was a cultural divide which was ended by the pcp, in the hunting mode, but maybe not for plinking?. The Mohawk Titan were interesting English models that were probably ended by the pcp.
    I agree. But, for plinking - and even short-range pest control - a light, easy-cocking springer like a Diana 27 is a very different proposition from a big old cannon like an R1.

Steve that 102 is just gorgeous. If I'd started out with that, I may never have looked at another airgun. But in the '70s Crosman pump-ups were pretty big in the UK - cheap, recoilless and powerful - and when I was about 16 I had Crosman 766 and 2200 rifles and a 1300 pistol. The power on maximum pumps was impressive, the accuracy good, and I was young enough to do the pumping for an extended plinking session without complaint.

But... the quality of materials and finish just couldn't compete with the [German and, later, vintage springers] for me.

I got hold of a new FWB 127 when I was 17 and never looked back. Plinking was never the same - excellent power, a match-quality barrel, just one 'pump' to cock, and blued steel with a hardwood stock. Fantastic! And I could hunt with it too when the opportunity arose. The recoil never bothered me and it was fiendishly accurate over quite long distances.

After that, I could never go back to plastic, where I started, however wonderful the gun. Over the years I lost interest in modern airguns and in middle age picked up where I left off in my late teens - which was my first 'collecting phase'.

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

No question the quality of these German guns was unsurpassed. But a 1930s Crosman pump has a build quality that surprised you. It did me and bronze parts are kind of cool. I have no desire for any Crosman built after the 1949 Town and Country. I would love to see a quality pumper made by someone like FWB, but it will never happen.

Last time I was in upstate New York, well Westchester County to be exact, your back yards were about the size of a small farm here in the UK. US I'd go for a Beeman R1/HW80 but in my small postage stamp of a garden a HW30 or HW 55 makes more sense.
    Last edited by coburn; 28-05-2017 at 08:00 PM.

No question the quality of these German guns was unsurpassed. But a 1930s Crosman pump has a build quality that surprised you. It did me and bronze parts are kind of cool. I have no desire for any Crosman built after the 1949 Town and Country. I would love to see a quality pumper made by someone like FWB, but it will never happen.
    A quality pumper FWB did indeed make - just that it's a SSP - The FWB range of quality match SSP are great for plinking, just buy a 'Junior' version and they are light enough to shoot all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    A quality pumper FWB did indeed make - just that it's a SSP - The FWB range of quality match SSP are great for plinking, just buy a 'Junior' version and they are light enough to shoot all day.
    So true, Mark, and if you want the satisfaction of spring plinking, the short 300S Junior is probably the ultimate plinker!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Example today of advantage of variable power, got backyard metal target in the mail. The kind that has five metal "spoon" shaped targets that rotate up to a bar once hit. When all five are up you hit a target above to release them. Three pumps too much they would go up and bounce off, two pumps enough to let them stay up. Variability is a much underapreciate attribute because so few guns have it.

With the success of PCP, don't see how anything like that would have much luck on the market. Personally, I've been a bit surprised at how deep Crosman has pursued their PCP designs. It wasn't too long ago that the idea of Crosman producing a big bore pneumatic wasn't on anyone's radar.

I know Quigley put great effort and thought into trying to figure out what type of high end airgun he could build that would be attractive enough to mass produce, or at least get solid sales on. Getting Crosman/Benjamin interested would probably be a bridge too far; for any number of reasons.

Of course there are examples of American airgun manufacturers picking up European designs, Benjamin and the Sterling being the prime example, but, Benjamin, if they wanted to expand the product line, had little choice: they had no design department, never did have one. Crosman, which now owns Benjamin, has had a solid engineering department since 1945.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    Apart from a Crosman "Ratcatcher", which I once owned, I'm not familiar with US air weapons. However, for many years I used a BSA Lightning .22 as a backyard gun which was light and easily handled.
    I currently use a Theoben .22 Fenman which is superb !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    Apart from a Crosman "Ratcatcher", which I once owned, I'm not familiar with US air weapons. However, for many years I used a BSA Lightning .22 as a backyard gun which was light and easily handled.
    I currently use a Theoben .22 Fenman which is superb !
    That Theoben Fenman looks like a great carbine size springer. You English have a advantage with your backyard shooting, this gun in the US has the silencer gutted

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    When they were very little - we got the kids a Crosman Powermaster 66 pump gun (supervised by us at all times I add!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdasSrVT1tI We were amazed at what a good little rifle this was for the price - good quality and good fun!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.