Thread: The best backyard rifle. European vs American tradition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Crosman 1400

Can't let this end without mentioning another fine Crosman multi-pump the model 1400. It replaced the earlier 140 and is essentially the same design; however, this was during the "Going Great Guns" era that put an emphasis on quality design. The model 1300 Medalist II, was in the same class.

The 1400 was the Crosman Arms best effort at designing a great, all metal and wood, multi pump. These came towards the end of Crosman Arms and are actually much rarer than the earlier 140 models. While the 140 is a nice rifle, the 1400 was really one of the finest guns ever produced by Crosman Arms. Rare for any Crosman, many of the 1400 barrels had scope grooves. There are a number of variations in the stock and 2 variations of breech (slide cover and bolt) so there's actually a nice bunch of things to look for in this model.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    Can't let this end without mentioning another fine Crosman multi-pump the model 1400. It replaced the earlier 140 and is essentially the same design; however, this was during the "Going Great Guns" era that put an emphasis on quality design. The model 1300 Medalist II, was in the same class.

The 1400 was the Crosman Arms best effort at designing a great, all metal and wood, multi pump. These came towards the end of Crosman Arms and are actually much rarer than the earlier 140 models. While the 140 is a nice rifle, the 1400 was really one of the finest guns ever produced by Crosman Arms. Rare for any Crosman, many of the 1400 barrels had scope grooves. There are a number of variations in the stock and 2 variations of breech (slide cover and bolt) so there's actually a nice bunch of things to look for in this model.
    With all the new technology one simple aspect of the early rifles that was needlessly abandoned was the peep sight. It is probably the one aspect of my early 102 that I find most endearing to a 66 year old shooter that has had catertact surgery. And it is the cruder 1930 peep that for me is field superior to the "finer" 1949 peep. It's hole size is about perfect for many lighting conditions and the thinner more carefully formed front blade, gives me deadly easy accuracy even with my eyes. I scoped the rifle for a while and have taken it off. It's just "right" the way it is.

Better technology and then put on a cheap sight, reminds me of the Hy-Score as much as I love it?
    Last edited by 45flint; 30-05-2017 at 11:37 AM.