http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps7wnbinis.jpg

This thread is a kind of a summary of my airgun rifle journey so far. I bought my first airgun rifle 20 years ago the Beeman R1, bought it at a time when I was the target market for Mr. Beeman, adult airgunner with money to buy a good rifle. I am a backyard plinker and the Beeman was a stellar gun.

Now I'm into vintage airguns and I bought a 1930s Crosman 102. I always looked down of the American multipump peumatics. To me it made no sense to pump 8 times when I could break a barrel once. These were the cheap American product for the masses.

I bought the 102 cause it was just a intriguing addition to a vintage collection, made in 1930 it is my oldest airgun, and it looked charmingly quirky to me. Also the investment was so minimal, $100. It came in the winter so this Spring I have had both the R1 and the 102 out in the backyard putting each through their paces.

I find that my 102 is now by far my favorite backyard rifle. I know the DT Flecther was called the 101 the best field rifle ever made. I guess I'm not the hunter but I might call it the best backyard airgun ever made. Here is my case for it and it has actually come as quite a surprise.

1. The variable power in the backyard is a huge advantage. I never pump beyond 3 pumps in the backyard often 2. I have a large lot over an acre but I have neighbors, I can adjust for tighter ranges.

2. Variable power means variable noise levels, in the backyard with neighbors, 3 pumps is about silent. Yes in my jurisdiction airguns are legal to shoot, but it's best if your neighbors never even have to think about it.

3. The peumatics is much easier to shoot with no recoil, or maybe I should add fun to shoot. The Beeman has to have a artillary grip, you certainly feel the recoil.

4. The 102 is compact and light, the Beeman is long and very heavy.

5. Both guns are very accurate with the Beeman having the edge, but the 102 is much easier to shoot accurately.

6. Lastly I am no mechanic but I easily changed out the seals in a 101 to repair it. The Beeman would certainly not be a job I would do.