Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Under-rated airguns

Under-rated airguns

Just thinking about the guns that don't have Scientology-like followings (HW99....) but are a lot better than you expected, or don't get the respect that they deserve.

My list:

Diana model 5 pistol. In all its forms. Just the quintessential springer. And well made, accurate, decently pokey.

Diana 34. And 26. Very nice. If they'd come out a couple of years earlier, they'd have amazed people.

Webley Xocet. It's a Victor. But in a really nice stock. That is good. It handles better than a FWB Sport or most HWs.

Birmingham BSA Supersport. Looks boring. A Meteor on steroids. But shoots stupidly well for a Meteor on steroids.

Crosman pumpers like the 766, 2200, 2100. Awful triggers. And plasticky. But cute cheap plinkers.

What else? Maybe the "Remington Express"?

Out of the box - They're all flawed in one way or another.

It's only the problems / types of problems / weaknesses that differ.

Tony's Slavia 634 is probably the most under-appreciated rifle I can think of. Its totally great, and all he needed to do was tweak the main spring in the trigger (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    What else? Maybe the "Remington Express"?
    I've just bought one.

Looking at the numbers (bore & stroke, TP), you could easily ignore it for UK sub-12 use. But it seems well finished, and hopefully worth some time and money applied to it.

Biggest flaw so far is in the stock design. Looks nice, but apart from a low comb, the reach from pistol grip to trigger is rediculously long. Even with a set-back blade, it'll be long. Which is a real limiting factor to me. Unless perhaps the action can be Frankenstien'd into a different stock... Hmmm...

Original 35.
    Original 45, (specifically in .20 calibre).
    Sharp Innova.

(Though they probably all do have a following somewhere)...

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    The first BSA Lightning !
    Superb pest control gun and much maligned IMO !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post

Tony's Slavia 634 is probably the most under-appreciated rifle I can think of. Its totally great, and all he needed to do was tweak the main spring in the trigger (I think).

Well, when I got it, Phil, it Boinged like a mad boingy thing. But a top hat and guide, lovingly crafted by the adorable Nick, soon sorted that. A quick polish up and moly took care of the internals.

Trigger - I had seen some reports advising removal of the trigger weight adjustment spring. I tried it but didn't like the feel one bit. So all I did was clean the trigger, oil it, adjust the pull weight and done.

Hope you get your "Sleeper Express" to your liking matey.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

And maybe not so much underrated, but sometimes overlooked due to low to medium power.....the beautiful little, jewel-like HW30S.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Well, when I got it, Phil, it Boinged like a mad boingy thing. But a top hat and guide, lovingly crafted by the adorable Nick, soon sorted that. A quick polish up and moly took care of the internals.

Trigger - I had seen some reports advising removal of the trigger weight adjustment spring. I tried it but didn't like the feel one bit. So all I did was clean the trigger, oil it, adjust the pull weight and done.

Hope you get your "Sleeper Express" to your liking matey.
    I will concur with Phil and Tony on the Slavia 634, I also had a play with Tony's gun at the bash and was well impressed with its build quality and performance.
    Les.

A gun you don't hear much about is the Diana mod46 stutzen. I got one fairly recently and was very happy with it. Excellent build quality and very accurate. The trigger was much to my liking. Cocks very smoothly, but requires a bit of effort. I really like the loading port. It's on the heavy side, but that's down to the build quality. For looks, it's right up my street.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    Original 35.
    Original 45, (specifically in .20 calibre).
    Sharp Innova.

(Though they probably all do have a following somewhere)...
    Like and have the first two.
    Not keen on pumpers tho.

I would definately agree with most of the guns listed. It's hard to separate underrated from the simply unheralded/unfashionable/ mostly forgotten. Maybe it amounts to the same thing.
    I would add the Original/Diana 24 /Webley Air Wolf and the astounding Haenel 311. Possibly the break barrel Haenels as well.

I have always liked the logun mk2. Never hear anything about them though

An interesting topic! It's interesting how many designs don't get the widespread popularity they deserve.

The various Skan rifles, both the early pump action and later grip cooking ones were way ahead of their time.

Also the pheonix fast fire, ugly yes but real innovation in design. I thing both of these should have been more popular.

And maybe not so much underrated, but sometimes overlooked due to low to medium power.....the beautiful little, jewel-like HW30S.
    Totally agree. With the lower power spring and Williams sports peep sight fitted it makes a very accurate and fun 10m rifle. Several of our club members have them.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I'd hardly describe the 30s as underrated or overlooked - in fact, I'd say it has quite a cult following these days...

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    I'd hardly describe the 30s as underrated
    More like overrated