Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guns in "public"

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    So my interpretation that it's only illegal if someone has a problem with it isn't far wrong..., Just have to be aware and careful.
    Thanks for the post, I know it's done to death but it's always good to keep it current for new users and old ones alike.
    Rhys
    The principle of " prevailing wind ". Christ help if these laws ever became stricter!

A.G

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Yes & No!

Yes if there's no one there who'll complain, no if there is a moaning minie there otherwise it might be considered a "Breach" or "action likely to cause a Breach of the Peace"!

In Scotland, the Highways Act, does not apply but the offence of “reckless endangerment” exists under common law.
    thanks.

the road that separates my permission is like a race track so I tend to unload the rifle. magazine out and bolt open to cross it. takes seconds to do.
    as I said above the MOD police patrol round that road too .so it looks safer if they stop me when I'm crossing it.

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    She's supposed to keep her dog under control; the land owner should have a word; she may have the "Right to Roam" but the dog does not!!
    I see. there is nothing in the fields really .the cows tend to stay at the end she does not go in.

the field has a gate between the two fields but the fence is open up over the hill so the cows can get into the other field via it.the gate is always open any way . its not the gate onto the road. she walks up so far then up over the hill and round then through another farmers field to her house.

it was years ago that she was spoken to. I'm the only one other than the game keepers who shoot there now. the game keepers only do the foxes there as there is birds in the wood two fields over.

I does not bother me to be honest as I hardly get any rabbits over where she walks through. the buzzards tend to sit in the trees over in the next field to it.

Thanks for all your replies guys, my posts don't usually cause so much interest.

Things are different these days I guess compared to when I last had a shoot, 30 odd years ago. I think that to maintain the "PR" side of things I will leave my gun in its slip whilst I am on the footpath which is adjacent to and runs parallel with the caravans however, once I'm off the footpath and within/on truly private land by say 25 yards or so then it will come out. Caravaners will still have a view of things but at least I am well within any definition or interpretation of the law, similarly but on the enclosed footpaths I will simply break the barrel and unload but not re-slip if there's no one about.

I wouldn't mind but I live in a rural and coastal area which is renown for field sports etc but in the current climate and all that it entails I need to keep my nose clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Thanks for all your replies guys, my posts don't usually cause so much interest.

Things are different these days I guess compared to when I last had a shoot, 30 odd years ago. I think that to maintain the "PR" side of things I will leave my gun in its slip whilst I am on the footpath which is adjacent to and runs parallel with the caravans however, once I'm off the footpath and within/on truly private land by say 25 yards or so then it will come out. Caravaners will still have a view of things but at least I am well within any definition or interpretation of the law, similarly but on the enclosed footpaths I will simply break the barrel and unload but not re-slip if there's no one about.

I wouldn't mind but I live in a rural and coastal area which is renown for field sports etc but in the current climate and all that it entails I need to keep my nose clean.
    I normally wait till I'm in the field before I take the rifle out as its a fairly busy road. there is a layby next to the field . we stop there and I get my gun bag out of the car boot and my rucksack .i don't drive so the wife drops me off and goes home. I call the guard house at the gas compressor to let the MOD police know I'm there.

I put the rifle and bag over the wire fence then slip in between the wire. grab my bags and head in and unslip it. load the mag up and put the bolt in the rifle if its the .22lr or load the air rifle . there is a cliff type warren just 20 yards away .

when I'm leaving to go home I slip the rifle in the bag .bolt and mag in my jacket pocket along with my ammunition in another pick and sit on the verge at the layby or sit on the other side of the warren and snipe the bunnies while I wait. I can see the layby from there.

I then inform the guard house at the compressor station that I have packed up and ready to head home.
    Last edited by bighit; 29-05-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Rifles

Me I cover the rifles up until I get on the permission along with a call the the police control room.

A few years back I had a anti hunt old dear try to drop me in it all I can say is that having the armed response rock up was not pleasant the silly twat at the police control room had not passed the message on when he went of shift. Mind you the old dear almost got zapped with waisting police time as she new who I was and what type of rifle I was shooting it turned out that she had a ongoing problem with the farmer and wanted to stick it to him any way she could.

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    Im not hiding just walking through the stables, paddocks and gallops to get to the woods and lakes, I do NV the paddocks once the horses are in ofcourse, but I spend hours over there and once Ive left paddocks I dont see anyone at all.
    I see., Again just comments sense & good pr.. nothing wrong with that
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

at my permission theres dog walkers,the blokes are canny av bit crack with them but theres 2 women whos always giving me dirty looks,yet ya never seen em picking dog crap up,sod em not bothered i got permission its them that shouldnt be there.ive changed my shoot times to 1st light till 7-15 am away n gone by time dog walkers come out.