I’m familiar with the need to carry an unloaded gun in a slip when in public but I am worried as to when the notion of “in public” ends and “private” starts.

I’ll explain.

I have access to a number of farmers fields making up a large rectangle the longest sides of which run roughly North/South.

I leave home and walk towards my shoot, a couple of hundred yards, via a public road and lane and the gun is covered. Access to the South/West corner of my shoot is by a public footpath, the entirety of which is within the shoot boundary.

Running through the shoot are two more public footpaths all of which are within the shoot boundary. One runs North/South and the other East/West.

Now, as I understand it, public footpaths running through and/or within shoot boundaries have joint/shared used of both the shooting rights owner or their guests and, members of the public. So, you may shoot either from or over them provided that you do not interfere with members of the public.

I still have some doubts though.

Once instantly on the footpath(s) and within the shoot boundary I can un-slip, shoot, correct? The thing is, the “public” can still see me from some caravans which are literally 10 feet away and the line of caravans run for about four hundred yards. In all likelihood I would not shoot for PR reasons but am I okay from an un-slipped gun perspective.

Similarly, when substantially within the boundaries and I either walk along or cross a footpath am I supposed to re-slip, not shoot, etc and if so how far away from footpaths or in view of the public do I need to be.

Thanks.