Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolverine

Wolverine

I keep looking at these rifles, it's like an itch I can't scratch, any of you guys have one, what do you reckon to them, most of all, are they accurate and reliable, I have some very accurate rifles, I generally shoot for one hole groups at a minimum of 35 yards, so any new rifle has a lot to live upto, is it worth parting with the thick end of a grand, are they worth it ?

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    The new ones (mk2) are slightly improved over the old ones, but it's mostly minor tweaks. They appear to be well put together and I seldom see anyone with any issues on any of the forums including the Daystate Owners Club. I'd also go as far as to say they are a good looking rifle, but without the electronics of the other Daystates, or a descent regulator, I think they are over priced for what they are.

As for accuracy, all PCPs of a certain quality will give you excellent accuracy with the right pellet, but they all vary model to model. I've had at least half a dozen MK4is's over the years and they have all been great, and would all give one hole groups at 30/35m - but some were better than others

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    The new ones (mk2) are slightly improved over the old ones, but it's mostly minor tweaks. They appear to be well put together and I seldom see anyone with any issues on any of the forums including the Daystate Owners Club. I'd also go as far as to say they are a good looking rifle, but without the electronics of the other Daystates, or a descent regulator, I think they are over priced for what they are.

As for accuracy, all PCPs of a certain quality will give you excellent accuracy with the right pellet, but they all vary model to model. I've had at least half a dozen MK4is's over the years and they have all been great, and would all give one hole groups at 30/35m - but some were better than others

James
    Thank you James, it is indeed the mk2 I am looking at, with the carbon bottle.

Agreed about the tweeks, and also I thing they are a good looking rifle, but don't know anything about them other than what I have read on the net.

Was hoping to find a few owners who shoot and know them, as like you say, I am looking at a grand for something I don't know about.

Thumbs up wolverine

hi got one in.22 forester,.177 not c or b but in a 303 stock ,both are pellet on pellet .no problems .

Wolverine

I have three of the badgers a MK1 B type and C type along with a Saxon.

They are dammed accurate well made and touch wood reliable the stock on the Saxon is amazing I thought my MK4 was pellet on pellet accurate but the Saxon out shoots it. If you do buy a Wolverine you will enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by sandyman1963 View Post
    I have three of the badgers a MK1 B type and C type along with a Saxon.

They are dammed accurate well made and touch wood reliable the stock on the Saxon is amazing I thought my MK4 was pellet on pellet accurate but the Saxon out shoots it. If you do buy a Wolverine you will enjoy.
    Well I bought it, looks stunning, and over a Chrono it has such a small variation fps it's unreal, but, it's shooting like crap, it puts 3 or 4 on top of each other and the next one is an inch away, then an inch the other way, then it puts 2 or 3 on top of each other in another place, can't work this out.

Tried 5 or 6 different pellets so far and not found anything it really likes, what do you guys use ?

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    Well I bought it, looks stunning, and over a Chrono it has such a small variation fps it's unreal, but, it's shooting like crap, it puts 3 or 4 on top of each other and the next one is an inch away, then an inch the other way, then it puts 2 or 3 on top of each other in another place, can't work this out.

Tried 5 or 6 different pellets so far and not found anything it really likes, what do you guys use ?
    I have a load of Daystates (currently 4) and in general these are worth a try:

JSB exact 4.53/4.52/Heavies, H&N FTT, Range master Li (if you can find them), AA field, AA Express, Accupell (big tin, not FT)

A lot of others are ok, but I've always found the best out of these ones over hundreds of pellet tests.

I'd also try it with single loading in case your mag is not true in certain holes, and check for clipping by removing the mod if one is fitted and testing again without it.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

I keep looking at these rifles, it's like an itch I can't scratch, any of you guys have one, what do you reckon to them, most of all, are they accurate and reliable, I have some very accurate rifles, I generally shoot for one hole groups at a minimum of 35 yards, so any new rifle has a lot to live upto, is it worth parting with the thick end of a grand, are they worth it ?
    I don't have one but a couple of the guys that I shoot with have them. They are really good and highly accurate but pricy. The newer stock shoulders very nicely . Myself am still in love with the MK IV in a sporter stock. Don't let my KT 100 hear this , she will be very upset.

A.G

yea i have been looking at these aswell wishing they was the 303 version

Try not filling it to the Max.
    Some Daystates can be a bit erratic till they reach their sweet spot -often around 180 on older models.

If the problem persists take it back to the shop.

Hi buddy, try it with a single shot adapter as it could be the mag causing it

Atb paul

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    I have a load of Daystates (currently 4) and in general these are worth a try:

JSB exact 4.53/4.52/Heavies, H&N FTT, Range master Li (if you can find them), AA field, AA Express, Accupell (big tin, not FT)

A lot of others are ok, but I've always found the best out of these ones over hundreds of pellet tests.

I'd also try it with single loading in case your mag is not true in certain holes, and check for clipping by removing the mod if one is fitted and testing again without it.

James
    Try Daystate sovereign's they work well in mine

Cheers for the votes of confidence in these rifles.

I have however been giving it some serious testing today.

I fitted a brand new optisan evx scope, after trying said scope on two other known accurate rifles first, the scope is perfect.

I bought a quantity of pellets, all the ones listed on the thread and a few others.

Fitted scope, tried all the main pellets, it was shooting crap.
    Removed silencer, tried all the pellets again, still shooting crap.
    Removed shroud and went through all the pellets again, not great , but it did seem better.
    Swapped to my mates mag, it was better still, but not pellet on pellet I would expect from a top end rifle.

I would say this has had maybe 6-700 pellets through it from me now, barrel should be leaded up nicely, tried all the main brands,
    Sovereigns
    Kaisers
    Aa fields
    Jsb exact 5.50 and 5.52
    Accupel
    Powapell
    Falcon accuracy plus
    Biz mags
    Super domes
    Fx

I cannot get a good group at 30 yards no matter what.

I have run it over a Chrono, it's consistent, very consistent apart from one rogue shot at 5.74 (no idea what happened as that was the first shot) the maximum deviation on 30 shots was 8.76 fps.
    The max deviation over 70 shots was 10.91 fps, so I believe it should be pellet on pellet.
    I have tried filling to 200 bar, I tried filling to 190 bar, and I tried filling to 180 bar, 200 bar was erratic for the first mag or two, 190 and 180 fills were consistent from the get go.

Now i know two problems, my mag is not great, in the gun it wobbles, lots of play in it, my mates is a nice snug fit and improves accuracy, I also noticed the shroud is touching the bottle in one place, not pushing against it hard, and with a slight pressure I can see the gap open up, but is certainly touching as it does mark the shroud when unscrewing unless you add some slight pressure to open the gap up, am sure this shouldn't be the case.
    Last edited by Rabid; 03-06-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Vermin Al is offline Some say, ..... 4,000fps is enough
    There must a gap between shroud and bottle at all times. Touching/not touching will play havoc with your groups.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Vermin Al View Post
    There must a gap between shroud and bottle at all times. Touching/not touching will play havoc with your groups.
    That's exactly what I thought, thanks for confirmation.