Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolverine

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    I'm struggling to suggest anything else other than a pull through of the barrel several times and trying to make sure there IS a gap between the shroud and bottle. If this fails and it's still not grouping to a reasonable standard then I'd return it to the RTD - but make sure it's a genuine fault and not just the set up or your shooting as that could be a bit embarrassing, but these guns should be very good, certainly easily within a 5p pieces at 30m+

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    I'm struggling to suggest anything else other than a pull through of the barrel several times and trying to make sure there IS a gap between the shroud and bottle. If this fails and it's still not grouping to a reasonable standard then I'd return it to the RTD - but make sure it's a genuine fault and not just the set up or your shooting as that could be a bit embarrassing, but these guns should be very good, certainly easily within a 5p pieces at 30m+

James

100% the shroud and bottle are touching in one place, I will loose the pressure and see if the bottle will turn very slightly to give a clearance.

It is the carbon fibre (hi-lite) bottle, its bloody awful when you run your hand over it, lumps and bumps everywhere, so a slight turn may sort it.

It was bought privately, not from a rfd, sold as immaculate and 100% faultless, he was right about immaculate, but certainly not 100% faultless.

I have also had another guy shoot it who I know is a good shot, he regularly hits 5mm targets at 70 mtrs, he gets the same results, I just wanted to confirm it wasn't me doing something or my shooting gone to pot.

Not overly reliable and an acquired taste, worth tuppence as a trade in right now.

I turned one down last week with a decent scope for £600

Be smart, buy used.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Not overly reliable and an acquired taste, worth tuppence as a trade in right now.

I turned one down last week with a decent scope for £600

Be smart, buy used.
    A wolverine 2 with decent scope for £600 ?

It was used.

have you tried it on the single shot tray yet. Mine is stupid accurate at 50mtrs with aa heavies and jsb's 5.53's. The carbon fiber bottles are rough i must admit. I changed mine from the standard to the carbon fiber. I have a cracking picture of a fly (well whats left of it) shot at 55mtrs that dared stray on my target. Would post it but no dead animals!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    I keep looking at these rifles, it's like an itch I can't scratch, any of you guys have one, what do you reckon to them, most of all, are they accurate and reliable, I have some very accurate rifles, I generally shoot for one hole groups at a minimum of 35 yards, so any new rifle has a lot to live upto, is it worth parting with the thick end of a grand, are they worth it ?
    No.

Get a MkIVis or an Airwolf.

I've dismissed these before and the Saxon too for the reasons James outlines below:

"The new ones (mk2) are slightly improved over the old ones, but it's mostly minor tweaks. They appear to be well put together and I seldom see anyone with any issues on any of the forums including the Daystate Owners Club. I'd also go as far as to say they are a good looking rifle, but without the electronics of the other Daystates, or a descent regulator, I think they are over priced for what they are.

As for accuracy, all PCPs of a certain quality will give you excellent accuracy with the right pellet, but they all vary model to model. I've had at least half a dozen MK4is's over the years and they have all been great, and would all give one hole groups at 30/35m - but some were better than others"

ATB

John
    Steyr LG 110 2014; Steyr Pro X; Anschutz 9015 HP ; SCR Exile .177; FX X barrel .177 Aeron Streamline; Daystate Delta Wolf .177; Tau-Brno MK300 .177; Sportsmatch GC2 mk3 .177

I have my mates airwolf sat here and it's up for sale, not impressed with the elictrickery, the looks, the weight, in fact not much about it I do like !

No I have not tried single shot loading yet, I don't have a tray so will try loading by hand tomorrow.

Just cleaned the barrel, it was horrid, came out black for the first 5 minutes, and oily, I have also noticed a lot of oil on the bolt when I cycle it back and forth a good few times, factory standard or an over zealous cleaning at some point.....unsure.

I 'think' it may be blowing back at the breech, tried dry firing it twice and was convinced I could feel air coming back from the probe, will look into this further tomorrow when I can shoot it properly, I really hate dry firing anything, it feels so wrong.

Vermin Al is offline Some say, ..... 4,000fps is enough
    It could be a leaky breech seal or maybe a slack grub screw holding down the magazine activator pin retaining plate.

I fire a couple of VFG felts plus pellet to clean my Pulsar barrel.
    Al

Mk1

Only DS I can say was great was the mk1 air ranger, awesome bit of kit being reliable and accurate. This I think was down to a proper regulator ( dont think DS uses one now) and no elecs or gimmicks, so rather like a rapid and 100%, my only gripe was with a silencer fitted it was too long..

I also bought a mk2 AR, mk3 sporter and an Airwolf and none could match the old mk1

Chris
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabid View Post
    No I have not tried single shot loading yet, I don't have a tray so will try loading by hand tomorrow.

Just cleaned the barrel, it was horrid, came out black for the first 5 minutes, and oily, I have also noticed a lot of oil on the bolt when I cycle it back and forth a good few times, factory standard or an over zealous cleaning at some point.....unsure.

I 'think' it may be blowing back at the breech, tried dry firing it twice and was convinced I could feel air coming back from the probe, will look into this further tomorrow when I can shoot it properly, I really hate dry firing anything, it feels so wrong.
    Get rid of as much oil as possible off everything, it should only ever be a light film on any exposed parts, and certainly none in the barrel/breach.

Probe seals are pennies, change it as you may not be able to see the wear or damage, and the single pellet thing is a must to rule out mag issues.

You probably have a very good gun with some annoying little fault/issue which you just have not found yet.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Quote Originally Posted by Vermin Al View Post
    It could be a leaky breech seal or maybe a slack grub screw holding down the magazine activator pin retaining plate.

I fire a couple of VFG felts plus pellet to clean my Pulsar barrel.
    I was looking at those felt pellets yesterday, I just use a rod or pull through normally.

The leaky breech seal MAY just be my imagination, the Chrono results certainly suggest everything is working well with pressure and seals.

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    Only DS I can say was great was the mk1 air ranger, awesome bit of kit being reliable and accurate. This I think was down to a proper regulator ( dont think DS uses one now) and no elecs or gimmicks, so rather like a rapid and 100%, my only gripe was with a silencer fitted it was too long..

I also bought a mk2 AR, mk3 sporter and an Airwolf and none could match the old mk1

Chris
    I used an airwolf mct last year for a few months and it was incredibly accurate, it was an awesome shooter, I just didn't particularly like the electrickery on it, found it a bit gimmicky for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesim1 View Post
    Get rid of as much oil as possible off everything, it should only ever be a light film on any exposed parts, and certainly none in the barrel/breach.

Probe seals are pennies, change it as you may not be able to see the wear or damage, and the single pellet thing is a must to rule out mag issues.

You probably have a very good gun with some annoying little fault/issue which you just have not found yet.

James
    I have been rigorously cleaning it off every few shots when the bolt is exposed, I spent a good hour or so last night cleaning the barrel and now it doesn't come out smelling of oil like it first did, looks dry and totally Undamaged when I shine a light down it.

Probe seal ? Are you talking the oring inside the breech ? As it has no seal on the probe like most guns.

I tried single shot loading this morning, it was certainly an improvement, a little windy to take it for gospel today though.

I tried 3 mags this morning, it would seem not only is it pellet fussy, but it's mag fussy as well, two mags I tried were awful (one was the original with the gun) but one of my old regal mags it seems to love, coupled with AA fields, I am hitting some pretty reasonable groups now, but that's with silencer and shroud removed, really need a calm day to see how it's really grouping, but it's the best results so far.

I think your right that it has a couple of annoying little faults, and once I find them and rectify it, I should have a very nice and accurate rifle, so damn frustrating finding the problems.
    Last edited by Rabid; 04-06-2017 at 12:21 PM.

the probe seal is a tiny O ring on the probe that pushes the pellet into the barrel
    I change the one on my air ranger regularly as they are prone to wear

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    the probe seal is a tiny O ring on the probe that pushes the pellet into the barrel
    I change the one on my air ranger regularly as they are prone to wear

Thanks, I know that, but the wolverine are different, they do not have a seal on the probe, but rather one in the breech.

Reading up, they reckon 750-1000 pellets is the life span of them, sounds very low but hey ho, at least they only cost pennies.