Thread: Air Arms s400 vs MPR FT

mrsheff Guest

Air Arms s400 vs MPR FT

New to HFT plus would be used for hunting, interested in these two rifles .177

Is there much difference in accuracy etc?

I own examples of both
    My wife and I use them in the UKBR 22 postals at 25 yds
    Trigger internals are the same. Stocks are the obvious difference and the MPR has the same barrel as the FTP 900 which is 14 mm diameter. The AA400 has a 12mm diameter barrel
    Valving and cylinders are the same. The EV2 barrel also fits the MPR

Scores in the UKBR postals are virtually the same but I would say the MPR has the edge on accuracy due to its weight, target style stock and better breech design. The AA400 breech has a O-ring holder brass fitting into which the pellet feeds. This is not as well engineered as the breech in the MPR

If buying an AA400, the Classic always seem to perform better than the carbine versions at 25 yds benchrest. Less muzzle blast, more weight and a better power curve all help with accuracy
    John
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 31-05-2017 at 05:13 PM.
    hold me back !!

Provided it fits you and all else is equal I'd go for the MPR.

As John has pointed out the barrel is the same 14 mm Walther Lothar unit as on the FTP 900 and as far as I know, the HFT 500 - and size does make a difference The extra metal means the barrel is rigid enough to be free floated and is not so prone to taking a bend as the flimsy 12mm S400. Of course, it does add weight but even so I wish AA had gone to a Steyr-type 16 mm barrel.

As far as accuracy goes, both my S400 and my HFT 500 are stunningly accurate, but the 14mm barrel on the HFT 500 stays that way.

Alan

If hunting is your primary interest then I'd go for an S400 rifle (as more shots & better power curve than the carbine), the S400 shares the same basic design with the S300, S500, MPR & hft500 so is a very capable rifle

One thing to consider with the MPR is it's standard factory fit stock, this has a short reach between butpad & pistol-grip aswell as a short grip to trigger so if you've got man-hands then it's not comfortable (but all s4/5** etc. Custom stocks are interchangeable so the actions can be used in different wood )

Also the extra cost of an MPR over the S400 could be used to buy other goodies like silencer etc.?

People get hung-up on the 'spindly' barrel that AA fit but it's usually more accurate than the person shooting

I've had a few S300's, S400's, 10 years ago I built an S200 barrelled hybrid with S300 valving and other S400 parts that had its barrel 'free-floating' & still have a pair of mpr's from shooting hft & FT (& a .25" S400 long-term ratting project ) so have a working knowledge of them & their internals although the only contact I've had with a hft500 is through reading AA's parts list & comparing part numbers

Rich.
    Last edited by zedman; 31-05-2017 at 02:35 PM.

I have a foot in both camps.
    I had an S400 and bought an MPR stock, transferred the working over and find it far more comfortable for FT.
    However I am very new to FT, but gun is consistent and accurate up to 55yds.

mrsheff Guest
    Thanks for the responses. I've shot an s400 and have to admit was impressed with the accuracy. I also tried a Air Arms Pro Target which shot incredibly well. An MPR may be an option if I can pick a reasonable example up second hand, but to be honest it sounds like any of these rifles would outshoot me!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsheff View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I've shot an s400 and have to admit was impressed with the accuracy. I also tried a Air Arms Pro Target which shot incredibly well. An MPR may be an option if I can pick a reasonable example up second hand, but to be honest it sounds like any of these rifles would outshoot me!!
    I really think that if budget is not an issue your next choice should be something different from the S400 platform. There is after all nothing that an MPR does that an S400 can not do.

A.G