Thread: Tbt kit in a hw45

Tbt kit in a hw45

I've just clicked buy on a tuning kit for my 45.
    Does anyone have one installed and what difference should I be realistically looking at afterwards?

I tool the plunge this evening and took my new baby apart.
    There was still some grease / oil in the compression chamber.
    So I cleaned it all out ,polished up the piston and spring ,deburred all the pieces that needed it
    so now just waiting on the kit

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by RogerRoger View Post
    I've just clicked buy on a tuning kit for my 45.
    Does anyone have one installed and what difference should I be realistically looking at afterwards?

I tool the plunge this evening and took my new baby apart.
    There was still some grease / oil in the compression chamber.
    So I cleaned it all out ,polished up the piston and spring ,deburred all the pieces that needed it
    so now just waiting on the kit

Roger
    It does help a bit but Tin up against it with the 45...
    I pretty much tamed most springer pistols in my time incl the venerable LP53 but i found the 45 with rearward recoil and being top heavy a real challenge....also hampered by the lengthy process of getting it apart and back together when making the many small changes needed when experimenting for the ideal set up first time.
    Comparing the 53....i made maybe 15 changes when homing in on the ideal spring and guide/ top hat because it so easy to swap springs out with the simple screw off grip cap but made only 3 with the 45
    which requires a complete takedown.

Hi Clarky, would it be cheeky of me to ask which 3 changes you made? or would you have to kill me afterwards

Roger

Hi Roger,

Welcome to the forum. I've not fitted a TbT kit to my 45 (yet) and will be interested to hear how you get on with yours. Originally, when new and dieselling, mine was making 5.5FPE. After a couple of years and maybe 1000-1500 pellets it settled down to around 4.9 FPE. Following a strip, clean, selective polishing and reassembling with non-combustible molly based lubricants it produced 5.0 FPE with all the original parts.

Since than I have had mine apart a few times and made some changes that improved things no end. If you're interested in what I did I posted this http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....ling-with-a-45

Tom
    Last edited by sevorg; 31-05-2017 at 03:04 PM. Reason: sp

Thanks for the info Tom , I spent a good few hours de burring and polishing everything that looked polish able, inside and outside of the spring and Piston.
    The inside of the piston was well chewed up from machining and not wear, Its a lot smoother now. Im wondering if that piston sleeve you used might help?
    I did notice that the piston top (Seal?) was real tight in the cylinder ,
    Where do I look for the seal kit and is the old one easy to remove or does it need major surgery ?
    Thanks
    Roger

This is the custom airseals site https://www.customairseals.com/ they also trade on the unmentionable auction site which is where I bought mine. Considering they are in Oz the delivery was pretty quick. The old seal is easy to remove if you are not looking to reuse it, I imagine it's a bit of a bugger to get off undamaged. The new seal goes on quite easily.

The sleeve took up most of the space between piston and spring so possibly helped reduce some twang. I only fitted it as I had the material leftover from another gun I was working on. If you are fitting the TbT kit the new spring guides will sort this out making a sleeve less important or even unnecessary.