Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oversized bolt handles.......

Oversized bolt handles.......

Been looking at these and wondering if my r10 would benefit from it.. I just can't decide if it'll just get caught on my jacket more easily.. I have this happen sometimes normally, especially when I'm carrying it around.
    What are your thoughts please
    Thanks
    Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I know bugger all about hunting, but I think you've answered your own question there butty. Oversized knobs are usually found in a target shooting enviroment.

I've got an oversized bolt handle on my superten can't really tell if it makes the cocking effort any easier but looks better than the original..

They do look good on a SuperTen, and probably save the finger getting sore if you're plinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    I know bugger all about hunting, but I think you've answered your own question there butty. Oversized knobs are usually found in a target shooting enviroment.
    Pmsl
    That why your into target shooting?!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Pmsl
    That why your into target shooting?!
    That's right - although the standard knob on my Ripley is quite small.

You might have noticed.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    If you want a bigger knob, have a word with Captain Bongo next weekend.

He has this machine......
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    If you want a bigger knob, have a word with Captain Bongo next weekend.

He has this machine......
    I wonder if he could machine an oversize false safety catch for an HW.

Thing is, target guns don't have safety catches. And by deleting the catch, you gets a pair of holes that rain can get in.

So I wants a tight fitting rubber* facsimile of a steel safety - that does nothing except keep the rain out.

I can't be the only person who wants that.

Sorry for the hijack, but I'm in the shed trying to make one from a plastic car numberplate bolt, and it looks crap.

* or delrin
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 29-05-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Sorry for the hijack,
    At least it's only my threat & not my batty, butty

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    At least it's only my threat & not my batty, butty
    It's not me you wanna worry about, pretty boy. It's Bongo... I'm a lamb compared to him, and he's Anthony Hopkins.

Re my safety catch - It actually looks alright actually.

Re your small knob - Make one out of: a glass marble, a kid's size snooker ball, a dice (or rather, die), a large ball bearing, or a small animal skull. HTH.

I got one for my lads Scorpion, makes cocking easier as there's more to grab.
    Got mine from RatWorks, send him your bolt and he will return it with the ball added for £20.
    Shame i can't add an image of it!

It's not me you wanna worry about, pretty boy. It's Bongo... I'm a lamb compared to him, and he's Anthony Hopkins.

Re my safety catch - It actually looks alright actually.

Re your small knob - Make one out of: a glass marble, a kid's size snooker ball, a dice (or rather, die), a large ball bearing, or a small animal skull. HTH.
    No 8 pool ball would be good .,I did have an idea thanks to jackel though, and that's to buy a bit of fimo, squash it over my original bolt in the desired shape and bake it on.... At least I can have a go with very little outlay.

Ps: I'm not worried about bongo as he hasn't spoken to me.

They are good, makes cocking easier and more precise and the handle won't slip through your fingers. Big ball is actually less likely to get caught in your clothing as it's not as pointy.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

I've got them on both my Rapids, look & feel far better than std, & catch less as they roll/slide over things rather than snag them.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    The larger "bolt knob" on the Mk. 2 Rapid 7 was a benefit over the Mk. 1., apart from that I never felt the need to add a larger knob to my PCP air rifles for hunting.
    The bolt knob's on my rimfires and fullbores however are large which is a benefit in the winter months especially with gloves. In that scenario, I'd recommend them ! Of course it may well be that is the case with winter month air rifle hunting/target shooting in that event then go for it !

As has been pointed out, they can dig into your back when carrying the rifle by the sling if carried on the "wrong shoulder". I overcame this with the Harkila back harness which allows the rifle to be carried vertically in the middle of your back but its a great piece of kit which keeps both hands free if scrambling or moving through undergrowth !
    “An airgun or two”………