Thread: Spring compressor?

Spring compressor?

I'm new to airguns and interested in dismantling my airgun.

A how-to I've found strongly advises to use a spring compressor.

Is there a cheap option or a DIY solution that requires a minimum of tools and skill?!

Personally I do it as a 2 man job with a friend that is both competent and confident plus storing. However if it is something you have never done before a compressor would be recommended.

Having never used such device I could not recommend anything. What I can say is if you don't use one be VERY careful!

Murphy is offline Cooee! Chase me you naughty boys!
    Very much depends on the rifle.

Some might be easier with one but I've not needed one yet.

FAC is another matter.
    Master Debater

Yes i'm surprised no one has brought a proper solution to market, perhaps just no the need, the home made ones are ok, but there are variants on whats required and lengths too, like my BSA mercury's requireda different fitting to the HW's etc, so its not that easy I guess.

I tend not to use them as a whole also, occasionally for decompressing etc. but thats about it. I use an old gym mat, some high density form about 5 inches deep, with a circular cut out to hold the chamber and a square foam block underneath for the breach, so that it can turn on the base mat. Two people are needed, one to hold and turn the chamber and one to compress the spring and hold the trigger block still.

Ive compressed HW80's and Exports, FWB (easy) and Mercury's no problem with this method, few bits of foam, a mat and a mate, thats it, some you can do yourself, as there does not need a lot of preload for most guns to work within 12ft/lbs if tuned correctly, but its always handy having a helping hand to protect that lovely blueing etc.

Good luck, but I've never come across a commercially viable solution, but I'm happy to be advised otherwise.

I use a sash clamp, primarily when rebuilding the gun. Stripping the gun down is not usually a problem as all your needs is a solid and stable surface where you can control the tension as you release it.
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

Quote Originally Posted by kash2001 View Post
    Yes i'm surprised no one has brought a proper solution to market, perhaps just no the need, the home made ones are ok, but there are variants on whats required and lengths too, like my BSA mercury's requireda different fitting to the HW's etc, so its not that easy I guess.

I tend not to use them as a whole also, occasionally for decompressing etc. but thats about it. I use an old gym mat, some high density form about 5 inches deep, with a circular cut out to hold the chamber and a square foam block underneath for the breach, so that it can turn on the base mat. Two people are needed, one to hold and turn the chamber and one to compress the spring and hold the trigger block still.

Ive compressed HW80's and Exports, FWB (easy) and Mercury's no problem with this method, few bits of foam, a mat and a mate, thats it, some you can do yourself, as there does not need a lot of preload for most guns to work within 12ft/lbs if tuned correctly, but its always handy having a helping hand to protect that lovely blueing etc.

Good luck, but I've never come across a commercially viable solution, but I'm happy to be advised otherwise.
    There is one
    http://vortekproducts.com/ourstore/A...ing_Compressor

Clamps onto the scope rails though. Some think it's not safe though.

Will find the video.

https://youtu.be/PkJfi1TVFdY

Another one
    http://www.airgunspares.com/store/pr...ng-Compressor/

Another one

http://www.trrobb.com/Airgun_Spring_..._16563255.aspx

they might be pricey but I you can't but eyes or limbs for less than those prices

And probably lots more too
    Last edited by bighit; 30-05-2017 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions
    Quote Originally Posted by bhodge View Post
    I use a sash clamp, primarily when rebuilding the gun. Stripping the gun down is not usually a problem as all your needs is a solid and stable surface where you can control the tension as you release it.
    I found one of these sash clamps for £10 which looks helpful. I need to understand exactly how the spring fits into the rest of the gun.

Do I need to source/fashion something to mount on the clamp face to project into the end of the barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by bhodge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    Thanks for all the help and suggestionsI found one of these sash clamps for £10 which looks helpful. I need to understand exactly how the spring fits into the rest of the gun.

Do I need to source/fashion something to mount on the clamp face to project into the end of the barrel?
    Many, many guns can be safely dismantled and built up without one. But, if required, a sash cramp is usually the way forward and you might need various "adaptors" for various guns.

What rifle(s) are you considering working on, Mr Argent?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    What rifle(s) are you considering working on, Mr Argent?
    An SMK XS19.

Gonna look for some youtube vids I think.

I haven't worked on one of these.

Guessing it has a flat end as the cylinder end plug? If so, just a flat surface on the sash cramp end will do. Always make sure that any surfaces of the gun that will touch your compressor have a cloth over them to prevent metal to metal contact and hence stopping the gun from getting scratched.

If your compressor is long enough, the flat of the barrel end against another flat surface is fine. If it isn't long enough, cut a slot into the end of the sash cramp end (furthest away from the threaded end) that the barrel will fit through - again, protected. And have a small bar running across this end, which contacts with the breech block.

Always a good idea to also secure the action in the device with some "tie-downs" in the form of string or cable ties so it doesn't "rise up" from your compressor.

You may be able to remove the barrel and cocking lever before placing the gun into the compressor, making it shorter.

And, as long as the gun has no previous history of being "tuned", it may still be a very simple operation to strip without a compressor.

As you say, study some strip down guides so you're confident and shout up for any further help required.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi Argent...

If you look in the "Collectible" section titled: Simple Homemade Jigs and Tools, start date 08/04/2017, post no 21, DCL_dave kindly put up some pics (I don't have a cosmos hosting photo website) of a simple compressor I made mainly out of scrap bits I had lying around. It is fully adjustable for BSA, Weihrauch, others, etc. configurations, whether cylinder or full length. The clamping is also safe and robust and actions can be rotated in any position and have clearance below the clamped action. Into the bored out G-Clamp shaft I can fit various jigs/tools as required. The clamping arrangement does not harm the finish being made with wood and leather sleeves. It may give some ideas?

All the best.....
    Last edited by SRV1; 31-05-2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

String or cable ties?

Get proper straps, bike rack straps cost buttons from Halfords, wrap it around a few times and it's safe enough. Cable ties vary vastly in quality and can slip or just break, definitely not what you want.

Having seen the amount of preload as standard on my 52 and 430 theres no way I'd be breaking open a gun without the right tools.