Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belguim made copy of a Colt 1849 Pocket Revolver

Belguim made copy of a Colt 1849 Pocket Revolver

Liege copy of a Colt 1849 pocket revolver .35 calibre in rough condition all the screws are poor and incorrect replacements some are missing, the bore is rusted and appears to be smooth bore but I can't be certain until it's been cleaned of the rust but it's not looking good.
    The hand and spring and cylinder bolt and spring are also missing.
    The cylinder ratchet where the hand turns the cylinder is badly worn and the cylinder has excessive end float of around 150 thou.
    The base pin (cylinder pin) is badly worn and cylinder bore is worn, the nipples are badly rusted and one is broken off.
    It has Liege proof marks for manufactured between 1811 to 1892 it was probably made around 1860.
    The poor quality engraving is badly worn on cylinder and completely taken off the barrel by an abrasive at sometime.
    I can't put a photograph up as it's in bits.
    Is it worth repairing?
    If so what is it worth in the condition it is now?

i would say a non starter to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    Liege copy of a Colt 1849 pocket revolver .35 calibre in rough condition all the screws are poor and incorrect replacements some are missing, the bore is rusted and appears to be smooth bore but I can't be certain until it's been cleaned of the rust but it's not looking good.
    The hand and spring and cylinder bolt and spring are also missing.
    The cylinder ratchet where the hand turns the cylinder is badly worn and the cylinder has excessive end float of around 150 thou.
    The base pin (cylinder pin) is badly worn and cylinder bore is worn, the nipples are badly rusted and one is broken off.
    It has Liege proof marks for manufactured between 1811 to 1892 it was probably made around 1860.
    The poor quality engraving is badly worn on cylinder and completely taken off the barrel by an abrasive at sometime.
    I can't put a photograph up as it's in bits.
    Is it worth repairing?
    If so what is it worth in the condition it is now?
    TBH, the total absence of all the bits would sound like an improvement in this case.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    TBH, the total absence of all the bits would sound like an improvement in this case.

tac
    You are probably right Tac but I like a challenge so I am thinking of having a shot at repairing it even if it takes more effort than it's worth.

shame about the pictures as I would have been interested to see it

Quote Originally Posted by TA6319 View Post
    shame about the pictures as I would have been interested to see it
    Hi. TA6319
    I have got rid of most of the rust and just pushed the major components together without any screws to assembled it.
    Pictures here in my percussion pinfire section : https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...57625478739916
    I have just noticed I need to update this section as a quite a few rimfire and pinfire purchases have not been added recently.
    You can't live far from me?

You are probably right Tac but I like a challenge so I am thinking of having a shot at repairing it even if it takes more effort than it's worth.
    You have nothing to lose by cleaning it up even if you only end up with a curio.

I was given an Albini Braendlin rifle circa approx 1855. http://www.militaryrifles.com/belgium/Albini.htm
    It looked like a lump of rust with a lump of wood stuck to it.
    It had been stood behind a shed for decades and the inside of the barrel was solid with rust. I had to chip it out with a sharp piece of bar. needless to say the bore was useless.
    The back sight had been snapped off and the forend had a lump missing off the end and the muzzle barrel band was missing. The bar that connected to the hammer that hit the firing pin was snapped and the knob that was used to open the breech was snapped off.
    I managed to free up the parts and get it cleaned up a bit and steamed the dents out of the butt. Now it looks like a gun that has had a hard life.

It was worth the trouble I think even though it is worth naff all.
    Last edited by enfield2band; 02-06-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Hi. TA6319
    I have got rid of most of the rust and just pushed the major components together without any screws to assembled it.
    Pictures here in my percussion pinfire section : https://www.flickr.com/photos/fronte...57625478739916
    I have just noticed I need to update this section as a quite a few rimfire and pinfire purchases have not been added recently.
    You can't live far from me?
    That looks like a nice little pistol, well worth the effort.
    You have a nice collection.
    I have restored a few Nepalese long arms and really enjoyed doing it.
    PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by TA6319 View Post
    That looks like a nice little pistol, well worth the effort.
    You have a nice collection.
    I have restored a few Nepalese long arms and really enjoyed doing it.
    PM sent
    I'm sorry that I sounded like a kill-blanket - if it makes you happy and you achieve anything that makes an old gun better, then I'm all for it.

Best

tac

not at all tac, I just think that a gun in less than perfect condition is better than no gun at all. Its all part of our history which is disappearing fast.

Better than most I have seen !

Nowt wrong with that Frontera - see these about and woeful but yours is nice .
    As is its a nice display piece .
    After your cleaning up am sure it will look a good'un .

Might look better Wi cylinder right way round

Quote Originally Posted by himself View Post
    Might look better Wi cylinder right way round
    Hi. Himself
    I stuck the cylinder on its pin the wrong way round so nobody could possibly mistakenly think it was assembled correctly and ready to use.

I think You best do what You can and keep as a curio. Part of of the problem when screws are missing is You have to machine Your own and You can never match the threads.It can take hours. I did an old wedge frame Webley.I even had to make the ram that is on the side.

Ps I love Your little pepper pot by the way!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lew07 View Post
    I think You best do what You can and keep as a curio. Part of of the problem when screws are missing is You have to machine Your own and You can never match the threads.It can take hours. I did an old wedge frame Webley.I even had to make the ram that is on the side.

Ps I love Your little pepper pot by the way!!!!
    Hi. Lewe07

I have got most of the Belgium Colt copy working just the cylinder bolt and the wedge screw left to do.

I have had the Pepper Pot for years I can't remember how much I paid for it probably £5 or £10 quid