Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best .177 spring rifle

Best .177 spring rifle

Any thought on what you consider is the best .177 spring rifle for casual HFT and FT would be appreciated. I have shot older spring rifles for years as well as PCP but would now like to explore what the modern spring rifle has to offer.

Adrian

Pro-sport mate.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    Pro-sport mate.

Neil
    I can totally agree with Neil on this

You could do a lot worse than visit Nomads HFT (WR66PL, just outside Martley and the nearest HFT club to Malvern) around 9:00am on a Sunday morning.

We usually have people shooting TX200s, HW97s, and sometimes Walther LGU and LGV, and most are pleased to let others try their airguns to see which best suits them.

Get yourself to the springer bash this weekend - you will be able to try out pretty much every springer there is tuned by the best in the business!
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

Out of the box for accuracy?

The Walther LGV and LGU.

But the triggers aren't up to the Rekord unit.

So, if you are prepared to pay for a tune, go Weihrauch.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Lgu and lgv are both good, I have both and the lgv is the better one out of the 2. They are both heavy guns though.

Can't decide between my 97 and short stroked mk3 200, both have excellent balance and triggers and low recoil hence top accuracy.. think the TX has the edge. Had a lgu which is a fine rifle but found the trigger less refined

LGV is the best I ever had

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    there's a bunch of guns out there that are more than good enough for 99% of folks - so the best advice as per Jim's and Neil's suggestions above is to get to a local club / springer meet and try before you buy.

All those mentioned above are good guns... but whether they fit you, suit you, balance for you, and enable you to hit the target is what sets them apart.

HTH - JB
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

mrsheff Guest
    TX200 for me

Tx200

For me ...the Air Arms TX200 shot the most accurately out of my hands and felt the most comfortable.
    But i actually prefered the Prosport general handling and looks but the accuracy difference was not enough to worry about.....so i went with it until giving up FT
    Prior to which i used a HW98 which can be adjusted to match both of the above for feel and handling.
    but the tuning decisions for it need careful consideration and more work to match them....but it is a beauty.

Never tried a air arms,best springer ive owned is hw97k but its a ton weight,tell ya what for the price hw99s i got this in 1.77 its a bit of a monster only 200£ aswell.bit if ya want spend more £££ hw97k especially the 1 with silver barrel thats a sexy gun,think its hw97kt.

I really liked the TX, but have never rated the trigger. I know it is supposed to be as good as the Rekord, but I found it spongy.

I wish I had taken mine to somebody who knew how to set up the trigger, and then dropped in a short stroke kit.

I've thought about buying another one, but they have become very expensive now.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

A 'TX' is no more expensive than a '97k' but a better rifle out of the box, personally I think a well sorted '95k' would be as good as anything else for VERY casual FT/HFT but if you think it may get a bit more serious at a later date then either the 'TX' or a '97k' would be where my money was going, Prosports are as good as the 'TX' and some will even insist that they are better (really, is that rite) but in my opinion they're a seriously over rated gun especially for that kind of money !...
    .22 S410...
    .22 Webley Xocet...
    .22 HW95k...