Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 308 lapua brass won't fl size....help/advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Very odd, that. I use the same set-up, exactly, to shoot the same 155gr Lapua Scenar-bulleted rounds in four different .308Win rifles. Nothing changes from one rifle to another. All four rifles, from four different makers, take every round I've ever loaded and all four shoot more or less the same.

Me, I be's checking that Steyr of his'n, although one of the rifles I shoot is an SSG69 from the mid-70's.

tac
    I agree with you tac, don't know the bloke but will see him later this week so I'll let him know about all this and suggest he checks his chamber out. Something's not right here. Anyway, thanks again for all the replies.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Lapua say their brass is really hard:

http://www.lapua.com/en/reloading-components/cases.html

Anneal them and they will go softer.

Yes, thanks for that but as you know it shouldn't be necessary with once fired brass.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Yes, thanks for that but as you know it shouldn't be necessary with once fired brass.
    but it will remove one more variable
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

Have the Chinese started taking Lapua cartridges yet? Try them with a magnet.

vbull,

Have you tried a small base body die ?

The SSG, IIRC, has rear-locking lugs, and so you would get greater case expansion than you would from a forward locking-lug action.

If your other rifle has a near min-spec. chamber, then the body die would help re-szie the cartridges to fit - Redding make an excellent small base body die.

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russs

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    vbull,

The SSG, IIRC, has rear-locking lugs, and so you would get greater case expansion than you would from a forward locking-lug action.

If your other rifle has a near min-spec. chamber, then the body die would help re-szie the cartridges to fit - Redding make an excellent small base body die.

Best regards

Russs
    Im with PhatMan, can you see a visible crease/line around the circumference about 3-4mm above the extractor groove?

TB.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    vbull,

Best regards

Russs
    That's clearly true, but I'm amazed that anyone would still design an action like that. The advantages of it are mainly to shorten bolt-stroke and ease turnover for manual rapid fire, as in the Lee-Enfield.

I doubt that factor alone could cause the OP's issue. Treebone's recent comment matches the experience I noted earlier with an over-deep 303 chambering. If incipient separation lines are present, it seems certain to me there has to be a problem with the SSG's chamber as well.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)