Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1975 HW35 with I think an Export stock but 19" barrel

1975 HW35 with I think an Export stock but 19" barrel

Hi all. Long time away from here. Nice to be back...

I've just picked this up today quite cheaply

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...psphu7w4aq.jpg

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps5ag7fciv.jpg

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/y...psfy9bquml.jpg

I'm pretty sure that under the brown varnish (why???) This is a Walnut export stock as I think this shape was only made in Walnut...

Opinions please.

Thanks
    Matty
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 04-06-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

It looks like walnut, but the third picture is the only one that gives some indication.

Lively old gun whatever, well done!

Cool

Hi Matty

Nice to see you back mate

From the serial# your 35 was made in around 1974, It's a pre safety model (Think the single sided safety came in in 1976), It'll have a leather piston seal and will probably click very loudly upon breaking the barrel open to cock it!! This can be eliminated by fitting a nylon roller to the cocking link!

It's definitely walnut!!

I'm prettys sure that current Export models are made of Beech now rather than Walnut which is a shame but probably cost would be significantly higher even for bland Walnut these days!

The 35 is my favourite HW springer by far!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

walnut stock 19inch barrel probably a hw35 luxes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by splosh! View Post
    walnut stock 19inch barrel probably a hw35 luxes
    The Luxus stock is rather different splosh, It has a raised comb, A flat, slabby bottom and sides to the forend and no finger grooves, Like THIS

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Welcome back!

The stock will definitely be Walnut and is definitely an Export stock as pointed out above.The Luxus stock,though also very elegant is distinctly different to the Export stock!

I also have a Walnut Export stocked HW35 with a 19 inch barrel that was bought from a member here on the forum many years ago,but the stock and action with 19 inch barrel would have originally existed on other guns until they were mated to create a non standard,but very appealing HW35!

ATB.

It's good to hear from you mate

I need to get the varnish off the stock and sort out / replace the bent barrel then get her reblued.

I'm very pleased to get this older model to go with my 1978 .177 Export and 1979 .22 Export

Matty

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Matty

Nice to see you back mate

From the serial# your 35 was made in around 1974, It's a pre safety model (Think the single sided safety came in in 1976), It'll have a leather piston seal and will probably click very loudly upon breaking the barrel open to cock it!! This can be eliminated by fitting a nylon roller to the cocking link!

It's definitely walnut!!

I'm prettys sure that current Export models are made of Beech now rather than Walnut which is a shame but probably cost would be significantly higher even for bland Walnut these days!

John
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    Welcome back!

The stock will definitely be Walnut and is definitely an Export stock as pointed out above.The Luxus stock,though also very elegant is distinctly different to the Export stock!

I also have a Walnut Export stocked HW35 with a 19 inch barrel that was bought from a member here on the forum many years ago,but the stock and action with 19 inch barrel would have originally existed on other guns until they were mated to create a non standard,but very appealing HW35!

ATB.
    I can't wait to reveal the grain on this stock. Might have to go back to bare wood but we will see. Nitro mors time

Matty

Hi Matty

John
    I bought this beauty from BAR a few months ago. An Export, nickel plated with a 19" barrel. The best of all worlds.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=4&o=2

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=4&o=17

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=4&o=18

I know, I know I have enough of the damn things but Im a sucker for a nice piece of wood, especially walnut.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    I can't wait to reveal the grain on this stock. Might have to go back to bare wood but we will see. Nitro mors time

Matty

I hope you find it's nicely grained.

In fact I have another HW35 Export that has a similarly lacquered stock with the grain concealed.

One day I'll get around to stripping it,I hope!

ATB.

The Luxus stock is rather different splosh, It has a raised comb, A flat, slabby bottom and sides to the forend and no finger grooves, Like THIS

John..
    Now thats a nice stock

Welcome back Matty,hope things go well with the stock.

The Export 35 as well as the other models were available with the 22" barrel as an option, the "E" refers to the stock & not the barrel length.

its clearly Walnut even with the varnish on it, the barrel should have the front swivel on or evidence it was once fitted if its original.

The new HW35 Exports are still Walnut with a dark stain & oil now instead of lacquer .

Of course, ze Germans have the same stock for their home-market. They refer it is as simply 'walnut stock'.

And they also seem to manage just fine without the daft 22" barrel option.

Welcome back Matty. I'm just back from another of those crazy airgunning weekends in the midlands! Remember those??

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Of course, ze Germans have the same stock for their home-market. They refer it is as simply 'walnut stock'.

And they also seem to manage just fine without the daft 22" barrel option.

Welcome back Matty. I'm just back from another of those crazy airgunning weekends in the midlands! Remember those??
    I will get to one again one day. This one coincided with my Lads half term holiday again. They are beside me on the sofa right now

I couldn't resist a tinker once I got the gun home. Cleaned the spring and relubed with moly grease. Made and fitted a milk carton piston liner and a thin top hat.

The shot cycle is transformed from twangy to a dull thud.

She's doing 11.2 with both Falcon Accuracy Plus and AA fields... which is nice.

I've dug out an old 4x32 Japanese Rhino in a period 13mm dovetail Rhino mount and she is now zeroed and shooting really nicely.

The barrel is just slightly bent upwards from the breech so no major issue either

Very chuffed. £20 well spent

Matty
    Last edited by MattyBoy; 05-06-2017 at 07:16 PM.