Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1975 HW35 with I think an Export stock but 19" barrel

1975 HW35 with I think an Export stock but 19" barrel

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    I will get to one again one day. This one coincided with my Lads half term holiday again. They are beside me on the sofa right now

I couldn't resist a tinker once I got the gun home. Cleaned the spring and relubed with moly grease. Made and fitted a milk carton piston liner and a thin top hat.

The shot cycle is transformed from twangy to a dull thud.

She's doing 11.2 with both Falcon Accuracy Plus and AA fields... which is nice.

I've dug out an old 4x32 Japanese Rhino in a period 13mm dovetail Rhino mount and she is now zeroed and shooting really nicely.

The barrel is just slightly bent upwards from the breech so no major issue either

Very chuffed. £20 well spent

Matty
    welcome back matty & looks like there's still bargains to be had-even darn sarf!

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    The Export 35 as well as the other models were available with the 22" barrel as an option, the "E" refers to the stock & not the barrel length.

its clearly Walnut even with the varnish on it, the barrel should have the front swivel on or evidence it was once fitted if its original.

The new HW35 Exports are still Walnut with a dark stain & oil now instead of lacquer .
    Yes I have the front swivel - I had taken it off to rub the surface rust off the barrel

It's now back on with a nice 3/4" period leather sling.

The barrel is actually more bent upwards than I though and I'll either have to whack it back straight using my usual method of hardwood blocks and a lump hammer or I'll need to find a replacement 19" .22 barrel

Still loving this 20 quid gun though

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Bargain,even with a dodgy barrel.

Bargain,even with a dodgy barrel.
    Oh yes

Matty
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Red face

The Export 35 as well as the other models were available with the 22" barrel as an option, the "E" refers to the stock & not the barrel length.

its clearly Walnut even with the varnish on it, the barrel should have the front swivel on or evidence it was once fitted if its original.

The new HW35 Exports are still Walnut with a dark stain & oil now instead of lacquer .
    Ooops Mick!!, I remember now a mate (Kamag on here) told me they were still walnut but not usually much grain on them! Flippin' senility galloping on!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Titan #4

What are peoples experiences with the Titan #4 for the HW35?

Any other spring recommendations?

I really must change out the Ox spring that is currently in this old girl !!!

Thanks
    Matty

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Matty

Nice to see you back mate

From the serial# your 35 was made in around 1974, It's a pre safety model (Think the single sided safety came in in 1976), It'll have a leather piston seal and will probably click very loudly upon breaking the barrel open to cock it!! This can be eliminated by fitting a nylon roller to the cocking link!

It's definitely walnut!!

I'm prettys sure that current Export models are made of Beech now rather than Walnut which is a shame but probably cost would be significantly higher even for bland Walnut these days!

The 35 is my favourite HW springer by far!!

John
    Hiya mate.

On stripping the gun I find a later nylon seal piston has been fitted. Not an issue for me - the gun shoots well.

Do you mean substitute the metal roller in the cocking link for a replacement nylon one? Where do I source such an item?

Cheers
    Matty

Welcome back dude
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Thumbs up

Hiya mate.

On stripping the gun I find a later nylon seal piston has been fitted. Not an issue for me - the gun shoots well.

Do you mean substitute the metal roller in the cocking link for a replacement nylon one? Where do I source such an item?

Cheers
    Matty

Hi Matt

The rollers used to be available commercially or so I was told, I think these days it would need a lathe and some PTFE or nylon rod..

THIS is how one of mine is (Venom tuned), The brown stuff is grease and not rust!!

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

What are peoples experiences with the Titan #4 for the HW35?

Any other spring recommendations?

I really must change out the Ox spring that is currently in this old girl !!!

Thanks
    Matty
    The one I tried needed to be shorter than the stock spring as it was a bugger to cock. I have it somewhere. If you want it you can have it for postage costs.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Matt

The rollers used to be available commercially or so I was told, I think these days it would need a lathe and some PTFE or nylon rod..

THIS is how one of mine is (Venom tuned), The brown stuff is grease and not rust!!

John
    I'll make one

Cheers John

Matty