Thread: BSA Ultra and Goldstar differences

BSA Ultra and Goldstar differences

Apart from the obvious looks department what's the main differences between the Ultra and the Goldstar?
    Might sound a stupid question but I know nothing of BSAs, cheers

secretagentmole Guest
    I thought the Goldstar was based on the Scorpion!

The Goldstar (current model) is based on the Scorpion/Ultra SE but it has a regulator (not the same as the iffy R10 regulator) and a supposedly higher quality barrel, an adjustable air stripper on the muzzle along with the obvious cosmetic differences to the stock.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Do they actually have a superior barrel then?

Quote Originally Posted by pumpygun View Post
    Do they actually have a superior barrel then?
    According to BSA's advertising they do , but there are Scorpions Ultras and R10s with good barrels as well. So far I have not been able to tell just how many (if any) Goldstars have had poor barrels due to only having shot a few and at the end of the day it comes down to pellet choice and suitability.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Goldstar is ten shot springer. and no. the scorpion is based on the superstar. my favourite BSA ever.
    there was a glitch when they moved from brum. the presses needed bedding in.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

^^^ This is the problem of reusing product names. Why didn't they choose something other than Goldstar for their new rifle. And why was the Scorpion names after an old pistol? Do they not know how to register new trademarks?

I thought the BSA Goldstar was a four stroke single in 350cc and 500cc calibres?
    Last edited by Shedder; 07-06-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Exactly, some will say BSA are preserving their heritage but I think they ran out of imagination back in the late 1960's.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpygun View Post
    Apart from the obvious looks department what's the main differences between the Ultra and the Goldstar?
    Might sound a stupid question but I know nothing of BSAs, cheers
    The Goldstar is a less well made version of the excellent Hornet Regulated PCP, for more money years later.

The Ultra is a really dinky low shot count hide / 4x4 rifle

The old BSA Barrels in 177 often only shot Bis Mags (or similar well) whereas now they usually shoot jsb heavies best, and sometimes shoot jsb 4.53 or 4.52 too !
    The BSA 22 barrels were generally great, except the ones that were friday afternoon on QC, with the great work ethic motto 'it'll be ok it's only an air gun'

I like BSA pcp's - have several, but this is how it is ...
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

We have two early model Ultras in 22 cal at the club and there is nothing wrong with their barrels, they are both capable of excellent results. A little bit of tweaking and the triggers are excellent too.

I'm surprised they are so poorly valued on the second hand market.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Shedder View Post
    I thought the BSA Goldstar was a four stroke single in 350cc and 500cc calibres?
    so they were. rode both. but the shadow was best. 1200 calibre. water cooled.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

barrels on ultra, scorpion and gold star seem identical

but for the ""ECHF Enhanced cold hammer forged barrel" suffix used to indicate a very vague process used on Gold Star barrels. Which many do not trust to be anything but a marketing gimmick.. But it does carry a marked price hike, of course. Punters beware, in other words !

My 22 Scorpian is pellet fussy, JB said one of the worst he'd seen. It still shoots fab with Crosman Ultra Mag, and Superdome. Mostly the BSA 22s are much better with wider ammo selection is all -
    I could have it re barrelled but a 14.3 accupel type pellet will do anything I want a 22 pcp at sub 12ftlb to do.
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34