Thread: Diana 35: changing caliber = just changing barrel?

Diana 35: changing caliber = just changing barrel?

Hello. My first post here.

I have an old Diana 35 22 caliber which I bought new many many years ago. Made in 10/77 and still in excellent shape.

A friend of mine also has a model 35, for sale. It is .177 caliber. This rifle has been used a lot, and most probably needs replacement parts to work properly.
    The barrel seems ok though, and I wonder if I can use this barrel in my 35, in order to "convert" my .22 model 35 to a .177 model 35.

Is it as easy as it seems (to me), just change the barrel to change the caliber?

If so, is there any thing i have to look at (wear in the pivot area? .. other ?) that might cause a problem?

Thanks for your help.
    Ignacio

Given a good physical fit etc you may well find that the .22 action parts will give less muzzle energy to the .177 pellet 'cos they usually
    need more spring force.
    Very often care is needed going the opposite way ie .177 action can take .22 pellet over limit if already close.
    Best intent.

Welcome to the forum! Yes, you may experience lower power levels with the .177 barrel fitted but this may not be an issue depending on what you use the rifle for. As you correctly say, look for wear on barrel pivot screw and also the shims, sprung detent ball and breech seal- particularly as you said your friends 35 is well used.

Link to parts diagram here: https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24381/35/

Buena suerte

Thanks for your answers.
    Regards