Thread: Walther LP53 question

Walther LP53 question

What year did the grips switch from brown to black?

It's not a 'year' thing. As I understand it, Walther often switched between brown or black over the years.

lp53.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    It's not a 'year' thing. As I understand it, Walther often switched between brown or black over the years.
    I will second that.

yep, seen different models fitted with both black and brown, but if anyone knows of a set of brown anywhere
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    yep, seen different models fitted with both black and brown, but if anyone knows of a set of brown anywhere
    i believe 2 sets were available with the regular brown std issue until 1971.
    Black grips were offered as an alternative but then the brown grip finally being dropped with the enrty of the not so nice slant back reciever model.
    I think the pistol lost some of its look and style when the beaver tale was dropped off..
    I prefer the brown grips too.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky View Post
    i believe 2 sets were available with the regular brown std issue until 1971.
    Black grips were offered as an alternative but then the brown grip finally being dropped with the enrty of the not so nice slant back reciever model.
    I think the pistol lost some of its look and style when the beaver tale was dropped off..
    I prefer the brown grips too.

I have both versions, The flat back is my user, re-sprung with PTFE seal, Nylon guide and top hat and HW35 sight, Shoots superbly, very accurate and consistant, does have some finish wear from the cocking aid but otherwise very clean, The beaver tail is my shelf queen, lovely original condition, period/restored walnut case (not Walther) with velvet lining and compartments for pistol, pellets, all the original sights and paperwork, I would however like brown grips on it and a barrel weight to complete the set, I even have an original period Walther cloth patch and metal LP53 pin badge in the set, Putting it all together became a bit of an obsession in itself
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

thanks for the replies, I'd always thought the grips changed from brown to black.