Thread: Anschutz 1913 system gemini 22lr rifle valuation help please

Anschutz 1913 system gemini 22lr rifle valuation help please

MORE PICTURES ADDED...A friend has asked me to try and sell a rifle he has inherited as he has no interest in target shooting. It is an Anschutz 1913 22LR System Gemini with all the bells and whistles, ally multi adjustable butt hook Anschutz sights ally bipod etc. The gun is a sort of pink colour and is in near perfect condition. I will try and post more detailed pictures later but he could use some help with value, we both have no idea. I realise there are probably dozens of variations of this model but for now a ball park figure would be helpful. Thanks. Just one pic for now below. EDIT: Several more pictures now on flickr.

https://flic.kr/p/VypxCc
    Last edited by vbull; 08-06-2017 at 08:13 PM.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

With the caveat that it's worth what a buyer will pay, concensus of opinion put an 1813 in a Gemini stock of similar (but slightly newer vintage) at £1,200. Obviously barrel condition will play a big part, as few people want to buy a rifle only to fork out another £600+ because the barrel was bulged or knackered and has to be replaced immediately. Recent batch testing results will help to prove the barrel is in good nick. The exact sight system and any accessories will make some difference, but £1,000-£1,200 would be a start.

I have to ask, but is your friend sure he has a 1913? The pictures show the rifle has barrel blocks for Unertl-type telescopic sights. These were not fitted as standard to 1913 barrels, but were to early 1813 rifles. Early 1913 barrels were drilled and tapped for the blocks, but as very few shooters now use barrel-mounted scopes these aren't often retro fitted. Bar the foresight mount, and a few years potential use, there's no practical difference between an 1813 and a 1913, so the value won't be very much different if it''s an 1813.

As TimS says, circa. £1000. A little tricky as it is a bit expensive for a first time buy and those trading up may want to go for one of the newer stocks. Some 50m test groups will help a lot as will indications that tend to show the amount of use the rifle might have had.

PM me with an email address and I shall send you an article about buying second hand target rifles. That will help you judge how it might be assessed.

Rutty

Thanks for the estimates so far, I know it's difficult without knowing exactly what comes with it etc but I should have more pictures tomorrow, which I will put up, with it all dressed in it's bling. Knowing the owner as I do I think we can safely assume the bore is spot on and not had millions of rnds down it but I'll see if he can supply some 50 yard test cards. Do you think the colour will put off potential buyers ?

VBull, it's difficult to say what effect the colour will have. Nibbs did make a few of the early stocks in that rose colour, but you don't see many of the new models in the same shade. However it should not be a deal breaker to a sensible buyer; there are always compromises when buying second hand. I could live with the colour to get a good barrel and stock.

Rutty,

Is that Tim Finley's article from the Rifleman? It's useful, but I say that as he blatantly plagiarised posts I made on the Stir ton forum; at points he copied me verbatim. I'm still waiting for a response from the editor.

Is that Tim Finley's article from the Rifleman? It's useful, but I say that as he blatantly plagiarised posts I made on the Stir ton forum; at points he copied me verbatim. I'm still waiting for a response from the editor.
    Yes it is Tim. I now include it as background material on new members courses, I shall credit you in future!

Rut

Thanks for the file Tim, appreciate it.

Does he still have the original stock? If so it might sell better by listing the Gemini stock separately. The problem is that he wont get the money, because as been said, it is a bit pricey and too fiddly for a beginner's purchase. List for anywhere near a thousand and any prospective purchaser will be comparing it with buying new, where there are no questions about its history. Whereas an established shooter looking to upgrade their own rifle will be willing to pay for the stock.

If you do have the original stock and price it right, £200 - £400 depending on model, age, condition and what comes with it, it will sell. The mistake I see all the time is .22 target rifles massively over priced because the seller, who bought it 30 years ago, looks at the current prices, goes wow! Mine was the top model when I bought it and now the top model is over £2000, so mine must be worth at least half that! So you see them on dealers shelves, being sold on commission, at ridiculous prices and just gathering dust. On top of this is is to find that the sights are missing and it is going to cost more than the rifle is worth to replace them.

Have you got all the missing bits? I can't see the buttpad or rear sights. These together can easily cost £350 to replace.
    The rifle is not the latest 'wizzy' all aluminum stock and looks quite dated in comparison. In my opinion the stock is worth about £450and the action about £250-£350 assuming you have the sights and a buttpad.
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by andrew375 View Post
    Does he still have the original stock?
    Andrew,

It's quite possible that there isn't an original stock. That Gemini stock was made about twenty years ago; around '98 Nibbs changed the grip to a true thumbhole, quite possibly after the UIT ditched 50m Standard rifle for Sport rifle. If the barrel is a 1913, it could well have been bought as a barrel/action specifically for that stock, not as a complete rifle. As Nibbs brought back select barrel/actions from Anschutz it may even have been bought as a package.

I quite agree about optimistic pricing, especially from dealers.

Edit: just looked at the updated photos, with two rearsights, foresight, and the gubbins, that would make a good deal.

VBull, if your mate is willing to sell the spare wooden but section separately, I would be interested.
    Last edited by tim s; 08-06-2017 at 07:15 PM.

I have some more info. The gun has it's original stock and loads more kit than I knew about. I have uploaded more pictures to flickr so I think that if you click on the original picture it will take you to the flickr page with all the pictures, please let me know if it doesn't work your end. I don't have a picture yet of the original stock but it does exist. Thanks for all your help so far.

I'm just waiting for pictures of the original wood stock. As soon as they come though I'll upload them. Next job is to accurately price everything up. It's all got to go, there is even a shooting jacket, spotting scope and stand in fact just about everything you would need. I think it's probably best to put the gun in the original stock with one set of sights and sell everything else separately. I will more than likely be asking for more help in valuing all the bits when I have it all together. I will then take good pictures of everything. thanks for your help so far.

Right, I'm getting closer to the owner bringing all the kit round to my place as I have agreed to try and sell it for him. There has been a misunderstanding though, the gun was apparently a barrelled action (1913) bought for this particular Gemini stock so there is no original wooden stock as I mistakingly said above, the confusion arose as there are two different rear stocks as you can see in the pictures. I will be selling the rifle as pictured with the second rear stock section included and the sights which are fitted to the gun in the pictures also the multi adjustable butt hook pictured fitted. The sights in the case and the rest of the kit which consists of a jacket ( I will state the make, size and condition as soon as I have it here ) spotting scope and Freelander stand (again, make of scope condition etc as soon as I have it here) a glove and Champion shooting glasses. I could use a bit more help please in pricing the gun as described above with the sights and second rear stock section including bipod shown in pictures fitted to forend. Once I have a firm fair price in mind I will advertise it in the sales section. Please assume the bore is a good one as I've been told it is, the owner just cannot shoot a 50 mtr test group to prove this right now due to his unfortunate personal circumstances but in the unlikely event that it is at fault I will refund whatever the new owner has paid. What should I ask for this ? Thanks.
    Last edited by vbull; 13-06-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Doesn't look like 1903 to me and I would be very surprised if it was. Did you mean 1913?

Rutty

Typo, meant 1913, thanks for pointing that out