Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a pellet for my 177 HW99

Tony.T is offline For vicious attack Pasties, 177, 22 or 12bore?

Recommend me a pellet for my 177 HW99

Got it all back together with the TBT kit (plastics not spring kit) and it feels good. Tried it with JSB exact 8.4 grain, and Exact 7.87 grain. The heavier pellet subjectively feels nicer, but the express has a slight edge in accuracy. Mind you the rifle is still running in, so probably too early to make a judgement. Any other pellets you've tried that worked well for you?

Incidentally, I did have the start of a galling issue after about 50 pellets. Stripped it again and modified the cocking arm according to threads I've studied on here. There were rough edges on the cocking shoe and the knuckle joint was all but seized. Fixed all those issues as well as removing the spring under the delrin bar.Now it feels smoother than when I first shot it out of the box. Fingers crossed.....
    Last edited by Tony.T; 08-06-2017 at 04:39 PM.
    video transferred to DVD, USB etc. Old negs and photos scanned to digital media
    www.digitalconversions.co.uk

I tried RWS Super Hollow Point 4.52mm 4grains on the off chance and my 99s loves them.
    Last edited by trowel; 09-06-2017 at 01:19 PM.

You have P.M.

thats what i use weihrauch hw99s 1.77 ,great arent they,love mine.havent had it that long only had 100-150 slugs through it,ive been using slugs i got free with rifle weihrauch f&t special there called,they seem ok to me but i will try some thing else after this tin gone just to find if theres a better slug for this gun,but weihrauch f&t special try a tin see what ya think.

Question

JSB RS weigh 7.33 grains, Express weigh 7.87 grains - so which one have you tried?...

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitwrecker View Post
    JSB RS weigh 7.33 grains, Express weigh 7.87 grains - so which one have you tried?...
    Oops- bad habit of mine- I used the express at 7.87 grain. (now edited post thanks)
    As it happens I've put several through it this afternoon and the rifle is settling down. I can't really feel or see much difference between the 8.4 and 7.87 pellets now. But I'll press on- well someone's got to
    Last edited by Tony.T; 09-06-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Mine seems very "un-pellet fussy" but positively loves AAFs and H&N FTTs.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    Oops- bad habit of mine- I used the express at 7.97 grain. (now edited post thanks)
    As it happens I've put several through it this afternoon and the rifle is settling down. I can't really feel or see much difference between the 8.4 and 7.87 pellets now. But I'll press on- well someone's got to
    In that case, I'd strongly suggest that you try some 7.33 grain RS. They're a clear frontrunner in mine, but as Tone says, the 99s isn't a particularly fussy feeder - most brands give reasonable results. H&N FTT is also worth a go...

Accupell .177 for my 99s.
    Someone said house work wont kill you, but I say 'why take that chance'
    www.airgunshooter.co.uk

The next size down from a .20
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.T View Post
    Got it all back together with the TBT kit (plastics not spring kit) and it feels good. Tried it with JSB exact 8.4 grain, and Exact 7.87 grain. The heavier pellet subjectively feels nicer, but the express has a slight edge in accuracy. Mind you the rifle is still running in, so probably too early to make a judgement. Any other pellets you've tried that worked well for you?

Incidentally, I did have the start of a galling issue after about 50 pellets. Stripped it again and modified the cocking arm according to threads I've studied on here. There were rough edges on the cocking shoe and the knuckle joint was all but seized. Fixed all those issues as well as removing the spring under the delrin bar.Now it feels smoother than when I first shot it out of the box. Fingers crossed.....
    If you don't mind my asking Tony, how did you loosen the knuckle joint?

Did you just put something like a screwdriver down there and put pressure on the cocking link walls to increase the play?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post
    If you don't mind my asking Tony, how did you loosen the knuckle joint?

Did you just put something like a screwdriver down there and put pressure on the cocking link walls to increase the play?
    I tried that, but it didn't work. I clamped the short end in a vice (with a bit of old leather from a belt wrapped round it to protect it, and gave the long end a sharp tap or two with a hammer (sideways). I couldn't see any difference but now the joint is totally free.

The only drawback was that when cocking the joint is now so free it 'clack' against the breech block. Cured this by glueing a small leather pad on the breechblock to limit and cushion the cocking link. Works perfectly. Smooth and quiet cocking.

Thanks Tony.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Tony,

For 0 to 20 meters, RWS R10 Pistol (7.0 gr.) shoot superbly in my 0.177" HW99S.

For 20 meters and on, JSB Express 4.52 (7.87 gr.) shoot the most accurately, and have the best trajectory for me.

(The JSB Express shoot very, very nearly as well as the R10 in the 0 to 20 meters range)

For me the JSB Express is my 'go to' pellet for the HW99S.

Try as wide a range of pellets as possible - your rifle is an individual, and has it's own likes and dis-likes

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Tony,

For 0 to 20 meters, RWS R10 Pistol (7.0 gr.) shoot superbly in my 0.177" HW99S.

For 20 meters and on, JSB Express 4.52 (7.87 gr.) shoot the most accurately, and have the best trajectory for me.

(The JSB Express shoot very, very nearly as well as the R10 in the 0 to 20 meters range)

For me the JSB Express is my 'go to' pellet for the HW99S.

Try as wide a range of pellets as possible - your rifle is an individual, and has it's own likes and dis-likes

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ
    Thanks Russ- Yes- I've tried R10's, very good, and without doubt JSB exact and Express work very well. A little voice in my head says Accupells, have you tried them?