Thread: My Platinum MK 4 needed a service....

My Platinum MK 4 needed a service....

....or so i thought.

It was down on power, mid to low 10's. so, I took it in for a service and a power reset. Anyhow, when i got it back i chrono'd it and it was still low, slightly lower than what it was before I took it in . so i took it back. Turns out it was the pellets I was using.

Credit to Anthony and Becky at Redbeck, they stuck with me and re-checked everything, they had it at mid 11s. I was using JSB exacts, they use AA Fields for setting up with. How come 2 different pellets, both made by JSB and both 8.44 gr, can give results that are almost 1 ftlb different? If the guys would have just simply reset the power to mid 11s as I asked, it would have made me illegal. I rated these guys before, but now more so.

I suppose it wouldn't make much real world difference if it was just low on power, but the JSB's were varying by about 20 ft/s which seemed to affect it at longer ranges.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Quote Originally Posted by Meater View Post
    ....or so i thought.

How come 2 different pellets, both made by JSB and both 8.44 gr, can give results that are almost 1 ftlb different?
    I done a bit of pellet testing with different batch numbers of JSB exacts in 8.44 - 7 different batches and around 40 shots per crono run - all off the same gun and in the same conditions. Despite the pellets being "identical" they varied by batch from 745fps to 780fpe - a full 1pfe difference.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who go on about low power when they have only tried a few pellets, I'm not saying low power rifles don't exist, just that we should all be a bit more careful in declaring them as such .

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Agreed.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!