Thread: Royal Mail Prohibited and Restricted Items

Royal Mail Prohibited and Restricted Items

Daughter runs a post office and sent me the latest list. I have used them for low powered airguns many times but did not know you could also send Section 1 and Section 2 items by Royal Mail as well. Parcelforce will only take low powered airguns that must go by express48 only.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

You will find that only applies for RFD-RFD and the last time I checked it only applies to RFD's who hold an account with the P.O.
    Obviously any exchange, loan or sale of Sec 1 or Sec 2 guns has to be done face to face with licences shown so you can't post a gun yourself (as a private individual), not even to an RFD as RFD's have to see the licence when signing in or out. It's no point scanning and e-mailing a copy of your licences as fraudsters may "photoshop" alterations.
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by rancidtom View Post
    You will find that only applies for RFD-RFD and the last time I checked it only applies to RFD's who hold an account with the P.O.
    Obviously any exchange, loan or sale of Sec 1 or Sec 2 guns has to be done face to face with licences shown so you can't post a gun yourself (as a private individual), not even to an RFD as RFD's have to see the licence when signing in or out. It's no point scanning and e-mailing a copy of your licences as fraudsters may "photoshop" alterations.
    Does that also apply to (ie. 'pressure bearing) parts of Sec 1 or Sec 2 guns?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Does that also apply to (ie. 'pressure bearing) parts of Sec 1 or Sec 2 guns?
    As far as I am aware, yes. For confirmation of this check the Home Office Guide to Firearms Licensing:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...l_2016_v20.pdf
    Refer to section 13.73 which defines component parts needing a certificate (and hence face to face or RFD transfer).

"Component parts
    13.73 Component parts of firearms are also subject to certificate control, and may be authorised
    if a shooter needs replacement or interchangeable parts.
    13.74 The term “component part” may be held (according to case law) as including (i) the barrel,
    chamber, cylinder, (ii) frame, body or receiver, (iii) breech, block, bolt or other mechanism
    for containing the charge at the rear of the chamber (iv), any other part of the firearm upon
    which the pressure caused by firing the weapon impinges directly. Magazines, sights and
    furniture are not considered component parts. The 9th report of the Firearms Consultative
    Committee provides additional information on this subject."
    Last edited by rancidtom; 13-06-2017 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Doh! Typo error!
    BSA Super10 addict, other BSA's inc GoldstarSE, Original (Diana) Mod75's, Diana Mod5, HW80's, SAM 11K... All sorted!

As far as I am aware, yes. For confirmation of this check the Home Office Guide to Firearms Licensing:
    Refer to section 13.73 which defines component parts needing a certificate (and hence face to face or RFD transfer).

"Component parts
    13.73 Component parts of firearms are also subject to certificate control, and may be authorised
    13.74 The term “component part” may be held (according to case law) as including (i) the barrel,
    chamber, cylinder, (ii) frame, body or receiver, (iii) breech, block, bolt or other mechanism
    for containing the charge at the rear of the chamber (iv), any other part of the firearm upon
    which the pressure caused by firing the weapon impinges directly. Magazines, sights and
    furniture are not considered component parts. The 9th report of the Firearms Consultative
    Interesting, thanks. I suppose you could imagine scenarios where an RFD wouldn't be involved - like when eg. two friends at each end of the country, who knew each other had FACs, wanted to send a powder burner (or parts) between themselves - assuming that's possible within RM size requrements.

By the way, I remember reading BASC's excellent response to the RM's failed attempt to ban guns from the postal network in 2012 and they very cleverly blew RM's objections out of the water by pointing out that measures against theft taken with all post, plus the fact that the contents of parcels were anonymous, easily met the statutory legal requirements for "reasonable precautions" to be taken by carriers of firearms and associated parts.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

March is offline Kind, benevolent, drives a Lamborghini

"Component parts
    Very informative, thanks for posting this. Pardon the pun !!.