Thread: Two Titan pistols

Two Titan pistols

Been sorting out two old Titan pistols that were not working. Had a look in Dennis Hillers book and realised the problem with the nice one was the sear had bent straight and needed an angle put on and the V spring was missing which I had to make. The other had a replacement trigger which needed some work, and work on the piston head. Well made old British pistols. Are they both the second model 1919-1921 ? Believe they are worth a little bit.

See pic...

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    These are what are referred to unofficially as the Mark 6 Titan. You can see most of the various designations here (if Photobucket will let you access it without making you turn off your ad blocker) http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps819fd12c.jpg

Yes they are worth a fair bit, especially the good one. The other unfortunately has had its barrel shortened, which knocks a lot off its value.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    These are what are referred to unofficially as the Mark 6 Titan. You can see most of the various designations here (if Photobucket will let you access it without making you turn off your ad blocker) http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps819fd12c.jpg

Yes they are worth a fair bit, especially the good one. The other unfortunately has had its barrel shortened, which knocks a lot off its value.
    Thank you for the information as Dennis Hiller book gives info of models a bit tongue in cheek. I have also the frame of one which incorporates the sliding safety rod. Do you know when this was introduced ?

Baz

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    The safety-catch Titan was the "Mark 7", the last and the best in the Titan series. It is difficult to date when each model was introduced exactly (except the first, in 1916), as they were introduced over a relatively short period (about 1918 to 1923) when Frank Clarke was constantly refining his design, and there are very few illustrated adverts to help date them. There would also have been a lot of overlap when two (or even more) versions were probably being sold at the same time. The best estimate at present is that the Mark 7 was first on sale in about 1923 and was sold up until about 1926.

If anyone knows of any old adverts or dated catalogue pictures of Titans I would love to hear from you, so that the history of these designs might be pinned down a bit more accurately.

Yours in hope,
    John

My Series 7 Titan has a rifled barrel which I believe is quite unusual. I would be interested to here of other Titans which also have rifled barrels. The 7th Series seems to be much nicer than the earlier models and the similarity with the first Webley Mk1s is evident. Frank Clarke made a contribution to the Webley design which apart from the much more efficient cocking method, looks remarkably similar.

Regards
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    My Series 7 Titan has a rifled barrel which I believe is quite unusual. I would be interested to here of other Titans which also have rifled barrels. The 7th Series seems to be much nicer than the earlier models and the similarity with the first Webley Mk1s is evident. Frank Clarke made a contribution to the Webley design which apart from the much more efficient cocking method, looks remarkably similar.

Regards
    Brian
    I am just rebuilding a Series 7 Titan with rifled barrel and the safety.

Baz

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I am just rebuilding a Series 7 Titan with rifled barrel and the safety.

Baz
    Hi Baz,

Thanks for that.

Rifled barrels were probably only offered on the 7th series pistols as the earlier variants were aimed at the cheaper end of the market.

Regards
    Brian