Thread: My new BSA Standard Light

My new BSA Standard Light

Hi all,

I received my first truly collectable air rifle today, a mid 20's BSA light / ladies pattern (I also have a Webley Senior).

I knew it had a bit of patina when I bought it but when I opened the box, I was overwhelmed by just how well built it is and the patina is just perfect for me - showing it's age but far from rusted away! All in all a nice, honest, usable classic from a bygone period. I fired just one pellet out of it, no nasty noises on cocking or firing and I even got a bullseye! After that, I just gave it a quick wipe over and took some pictures (to follow). It should probably have an internal service just to be sure but I don't know how to do that and I don't want to mash the screws.

I think I'm going to enjoy owning this one very much.

Cheers,

Matt

It was quite tricky to photograph properly but it's all complete with no notable damage anywhere. The metalwork has an even speckling of rust but still a bit of original bluing remaining. It's slightly rough to the touch but that might improve with some wire wool treatment. The photo etching is long gone!

The stock is a fairly straight grained piece of walnut but I quite like it and it's in excellent condition. I will treat it with some boiled linseed oil to bring out the grain.

Cheers,

Matt

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    What an absolute beauty. Many congratulations on your purchase and WELCOME to the collecting club (now you've got the bug, you, your wallet, and your spare bedroom aka your 'soon to be' gun room, are doomed ) ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Cheers Gareth!

Many thanks for the warm welcome to the club!

Matt

Great Rifle

Well done Matt, gun for life. Best all round collectable shooting rifle for under £4oo

Thanks Binners. I got it at a fair price and had been looking for one for a while do it was hard to pass over

That will be a great rifle for you. Doesn't look to have done too much. Certainly not had any hammer !
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Hi Matt l am sorry to tell you, that you have more than likey now got the collecting bug which is very hard to cure nice B.S.A light patt by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mattgun View Post
    Thanks Binners. I got it at a fair price and had been looking for one for a while do it was hard to pass over

Now then Matt, it must be your lucky day, None other than ''Lakey'' on here (BSA GURU) is coming to the Kempton Airgun Fair and has space for others making the short pilgrimage from deepest darkest Dorset.

Check out the later K P thread pages for details

Thanks all!

I'm trying very hard not to be bitten by the bug but it's hard to swipe away!

Question - is there anyone in the Dorset area who could give it a service and lube? I don't mean to sound pathetic but I have zero skills when it comes to these things

Cheers,

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattgun View Post
    Thanks all!

I'm trying very hard not to be bitten by the bug but it's hard to swipe away!

Question - is there anyone in the Dorset area who could give it a service and lube? I don't mean to sound pathetic but I have zero skills when it comes to these things

Cheers,

Matt
    DCL Dave on this forum is in Weymouth, he is a very capable chap and he has made replacement leather washers for these. On top of that, he is an absolute Gentleman.....

Thank you.

Hopefully Dave will read this thread as it would be good to chat to him.

I've just spent 30 minutes on the metalwork with 0000 steel wool and oil. Although it didn't really take much of the speckled rust off (it's pretty hard), it's certainly looking a lot brighter.

I'm still completely stoked with owning it. Just imagine what I'd be like with something really rare!

Cheers,

Matt