Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beyond redemption? I don't think so......

Beyond redemption? I don't think so......

Having just read with Dr Finley’s article “Rust in peace “ in Junes Airgun world on bringing a friends HW77K back from the dead I thought some may be interested to hear about my latest project ( with a little help from a friend...) Exactly the same make and model of rifle but in far worse condition. My aim was to end up with a functioning, mechanically sound and reliable rifle regardless of aesthetics whilst spending as little as possible. Challenge set!
    I acquired it locally after responding to an ad’ asking if anyone was interested in a project gun. To begin with I thought I’d bitten off more than I could chew but decided to give it a go anyway and glad I did. The gun looked like it had been stored at the bottom of a pond for years with all the metalwork that lovely browny orange colour with a crumbly texture and the stock looking like a piece of driftwood that had just washed up on the beach. I set too stripping it down and to my delight discovered that the internals (barrel bore, piston, cylinder etc’) had escaped the fate of the rest of the gun and only needed light work so the game was on……………….
    Luckily one of my friends at my rifle club has recently developed an interest in gun woodwork (carving/restoration and stock making) and he agreed to see what he could so he took the stock with me having given him free licence to anything he chose to do, including scrapping if beyond salvation. Seeing as my limit would have been to surf the net and find a replacement this was the best option.

With the stock in Toms capable hands I set too on the metalwork with all sorts of rust removal processes including citric acid (great for smaller items like back block etc’) belt sander, wire brush and more and fairly soon had shiny metal again. The rust had left a lot of rather bad pitting but hey ho, I wasn’t worried as the integrity of the parts hadn’t been compromised. The original spring was broken and obviously the seals were shot so ordered a standard service kit and when it came soon discovered the new springs are a smaller diameter so the original spring guide wouldn’t fit. Chatting up at the club again another friend offered to turn me up one so another problem sorted cheaply, magic.
    A quick clean and polish of the internals saw it ready for assembly and testing which all went to plan so stripped it again while deciding how to finish the exterior. Seeing as I had set a budget of cheap as possible I decided just to go with a satin black rattle can. Not destined to be a shelf queen so that’ll do……..
    Having had the stock for about 5 weeks Tom let me know it was done (he hadn’t had to scrap it after all but hoped I’d like the result ) and would have it with him next visit to the range so I pulled my finger out and got it all sprayed up and reassembled ready to be reunited that coming weekend. Saturday morning came and I was presented with a stock shaped parcel covered in birthday wrapping paper, nice touch mate, and I excitedly unwrapped the stock and WOW, we couldn’t believe it was the same lump of firewood he’d taken away a few weeks earlier. I then flipped it over and was amazed at the carving he’d put into the right-hand side, this boy has talent!!!!!
    One last session in the batcave saw the two halves reunited at last, scope fitted and then a quick zero the next week up the club and I have a lovely showpiece to display and get out and about with on my permissions.
    Just goes to show you can make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear

If I've got the hang then pix should be here......
    http://imgur.com/a/s2iYn
    All help, advice and wrist slaps gratefully received.
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

Blimey, that rust bit really deep! Great save.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Aye, and that's a MK1 that you've rescued there. A model that was made for only about two years (but you probably know that already).

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Aye, and that's a MK1 that you've rescued there. A model that was made for only about two years (but you probably know that already).
    Nope, lol.

Knew it was an early one but it's the first HW in my possession, never really liked em. Only got it cos I fancied a project......
    Most sales open to swaps for older BSA’s, projects and or incomplete/bits. Currently quietly developing a hankering for a nice S10 BBK………..

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    Interesting,as it has the 2 hole trigger block, its a K & it has a MK11 cocking link with the sliding catch.It looked as though the trigger unit has been out or swapped in the past .

Some hard work went in to that one, good job.

That is an Excellent restore, Congrats on a job well done
    I must admit thats the sort of project that inspires me to have a go at one myself.
    The carving on the stock is a work of art,but I wont be attempting that bit myself ...lol

Roger

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    wow, not sure I'd have taken that on - great work.

Big question - is the bore OK ?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Great job, shows you what can be accomplished with ingenuity and perseverance. Would not have bothered myself as we have so many of these knocking around down here cheap, and I am also impressed with your use of imgur. Surprising as usual that at this time over 90 people have read your thread but only 42 looked at the pics to get the whole story. Something I still cannot understand.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

That is just beautiful. I love the stock.

Can I ask what paint you used please. I have something I wish to spray too.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
    The bore was amazingly good, just needing a run through with a brass brush really.
    Really pleased with how it came out, and all it owes me is the cost of the spring and seals service kit ( I even had the rattle can of satin black kicking around in the batcave.....)

My intention originally was to do enough to it to get it up and running and as presentable as possible to probably sell on to fund my next project but Tom did such a good job on the stock for me I'd feel guilty doing that now....lol

Its an early Venom Basic Tune, just missing the sticker. The pitting was hand done to make each individual.
    Nice one

Quote Originally Posted by gizwaz View Post
    Thanks for the nice comments guys.
    The bore was amazingly good, just needing a run through with a brass brush really.
    Really pleased with how it came out, and all it owes me is the cost of the spring and seals service kit ( I even had the rattle can of satin black kicking around in the batcave.....)

My intention originally was to do enough to it to get it up and running and as presentable as possible to probably sell on to fund my next project but Tom did such a good job on the stock for me I'd feel guilty doing that now....lol
    What brand of paint is it please?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by new_to_this View Post
    What brand of paint is it please?

Thanks.
    Will see if I still have the tin but iirc just an aerosol satin black.....

I am glad that you posted the pictures because I would never have believed it possible,a great piece of work and a credit to you.
    Paul

Wow. I admire your perseverance and the results. Great job.

I cannot understand how anyone can allow something to get in a state like that. The odd bit of corrosion caused by forgetting you left it in a damp loft/shed/etc, OK it can happen, but the state of that? It's like it was deliberately left in an old bath full of water, and the stock hit with a small hammer on an occasional basis.