Thread: Hw 77

Hw 77

I was just reading Gizwaz's thread about his restoration of an old 77 - Many congratulations, Gizwaz; you've done a fantastic piece of work there and turned what looked like a piece of scrap iron into a beautiful gun.

By a strange coincidence I bought an old HW77 from a friend yesterday. He is hoping to move house soon and wanted to get rid of his rifle. At first I was doubtful, it looked pretty old and had some nasty rust on the barrel and underlever( I have a few other Weihrauchs and really my house is getting a bit crammed.) but when he said if I didn't want it he was going to turn it over to the bin men - well what can you do?

So a deal was struck and after some excellent advice from Sandwell Field Sports about how to deal with the rust (good gun oil and very fine wire wool) I managed to get the outside looking reasonably presentable. I now plan to turn it over to someone far more skilled than me to do a service and get it running smoothly.

The gun, like Gizwaz's seems to be an early 77 with the really difficult underlever latch. The number is 10453700 so could anyone give me an idea when it was made?

Haven't had a long barrelled 77 before but gather from Jim Tyler's articles that they are something of an icon. Just wish mine was a .177 since my shooting is solely at targets. Still, guess I'll just have to put up with another gun in .22.....

Would be grateful if any of you experts could date the gun for me. Thanks in advance.

Lafayette.

Thumbs up

Hi Lafayette

I think you have one too many digits in the serial, I'm fairly sure Weihrauch aren't in the ten millions yet

Edit- If you've just added a digit at the end then I think manufacturing date would be around 1987

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I have one of a similar age 1045470 so suspect you have added one nought to many,great gun in long or carbine version,they dont make them as good now.
    Paul

ps The underleaver latch on mine was a problem,remove it and clean all the parts and re oil,cured my problems.

You're right; I stuck an extra 0 on the end - must have got carried away, but general consensus is that it's a 1987 job.

Been having lots of fun this afternoon trying different scopes on it. It's a great rifle but each scope and mounts I put on seems to make it even heavier. Should be "strong and stable" enough for holding on target though.

Thanks for your replies; I'll try that tip about cleaning out the underlever catch.

Laf.

A 2-7 with 2 piece mounts maybe
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

Thumbs up

I've a couple of 77's, Must say- they're more user friendly for arthritis than the TX200!!

I sold my TX as I really strugglled to get the pellet in to the barrel as the loading port aperture simply wasn't big enough!!, It's much better on the 77

It's a shame though as the TX stock is the most comfy i've ever had

HAGWE

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/