Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: TX200 Tony Leach conversion

Good news!

Today I got a package from Tony containing a new set of internals for my gun. I re assembled it and it is shooting very sweetly indeed. The cocking effort is the least of any gun Iknow of and bearing in mind that mine is the HC and therefore the under lever is shorter than the full length gun - that is very impressive. I have een smacking dead centre of my zero ing target at 62 yards with regularity (apart from when I was trying to film myself doing it of course) - it is extremely accurate. I have not checked the power yet as I want to put a tin of pellets through it to see where it settles but it feels really good and I suspect the power to be about 11.

Anew video will be coming soon after a lot more shots through it - but I cannot fault Tony's attention to detail and eagerness to get to the bottom of the problem. He even went and bought an HC of his own to use as a test bed in order to refine the kit to suit the gun.

Full marks from me so far.
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    True enough john, though at 21mm its on the limit at full stroke , and if you add too much spring you get into dieseling, I am struggling with a pro sport at the moment. the other thing with the sleeved down tunes is if you don't have the sleeve and the end cap sealed dead on they are very unforgiving, all the normal tests show its good( ie finger over the end and pull the piston out , and immersed in water ). I think any voids in the loctite cause lost volume ruining any chance of making power.

I have my own 21mm that I cant get bellow 11.5fpe, and the prosport I cant get above 10.5 fpe . both have the same spec pistons, tubes , spring &pre load . I have been on the prosport for months , even had a tube made up with the end welded , its getting boring now
    Agree on sealing, I machine a taper to the end of the sleave, so that the outer edge is about 0.3mm further back than the inner edge.. the void is filled with loctite / bond and it ensures that the inside bore is really tight flush to the end of the comp tube. On a TX, where the endcap is remoaveable, I machine a recess around the outside of the face face such that the unmachined inner of the end cap protrudes slightly into the sleave (around 1mm), which makes for a really good seal.

As for your 21, just stick with 22 or 23, you have so much more scope for tuning... quite why it's short on power, no idea besides what you have suggested, but that won't stop me guessing
    - surface finish of the bore holding lube or not (which provides a little power through combustion)
    - pellet seat / fit in the breech affecting release pressure
    - leaks around the tp and the end plug
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

russian sniper is offline 1982 Sausage roll and cider gargling regional finalist
    Quote Originally Posted by neil180 View Post
    Good news!

Today I got a package from Tony containing a new set of internals for my gun. I re assembled it and it is shooting very sweetly indeed. The cocking effort is the least of any gun Iknow of and bearing in mind that mine is the HC and therefore the under lever is shorter than the full length gun - that is very impressive. I have een smacking dead centre of my zero ing target at 62 yards with regularity (apart from when I was trying to film myself doing it of course) - it is extremely accurate. I have not checked the power yet as I want to put a tin of pellets through it to see where it settles but it feels really good and I suspect the power to be about 11.

Anew video will be coming soon after a lot more shots through it - but I cannot fault Tony's attention to detail and eagerness to get to the bottom of the problem. He even went and bought an HC of his own to use as a test bed in order to refine the kit to suit the gun.

Full marks from me so far.
    That does sound good!!
    Will look forward to watching the video....
    Does it show the internals or just you shooting?

I have read a lot about these tunes - but haven't found a way of getting hold of one?
    The cost too is a mystery?

As a non Facebook user contact with the tuners who do these is difficult...
    Is there an email address / website that interested parties could use??

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by prosport.177 View Post
    Hay Nick what is the pellet fit like on the prospect? Is it tight or lose? How does it compare with the tx barrel on the 21mm tunes?
    Can you swap 'em over in these ?

Quote Originally Posted by russian sniper View Post
    That does sound good!!
    Will look forward to watching the video....
    Does it show the internals or just you shooting?

I have read a lot about these tunes - but haven't found a way of getting hold of one?
    The cost too is a mystery?

As a non Facebook user contact with the tuners who do these is difficult...
    Is there an email address / wdebsite that interested parties could use??

Cheers
    I must admit that I contact Tony via facebook and in particular his group on there 'Lost Volume'

russian sniper is offline 1982 Sausage roll and cider gargling regional finalist
    Has he got an email address or website that you could give to non facebookers??

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by russian sniper View Post
    Has he got an email address or website that you could give to non facebookers??

Cheers
    pm'd you

Thanks Neil
    Look forward to the video !

Quote Originally Posted by prosport.177 View Post
    Hay Nick what is the pellet fit like on the prospect? Is it tight or lose? How does it compare with the tx barrel on the 21mm tunes?
    Pellet fit feels similar , today I milled a slot in the rear of the tube I made up for the prosport and popped it in a full length tx , the power came up but only to 10.9 fpe , my own full length makes 11.7, with very little pre load , so it looks like the tube has lost volume in the end , I made this by sleeving a 30mm hydraulic tube down to 21mm, pressed an end cap in and had it tig welded professionaly, so the only place it could be losing volume is in the press fit !. I have tried 2 other pistons in it one with an x ring and still the same. In the prosport it only makes 10.4 so a little low for an Ft gun.

Chrony numbers now and after each tin of pellets would be interesting till it's run in .

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Agree on sealing, I machine a taper to the end of the sleave, so that the outer edge is about 0.3mm further back than the inner edge.. the void is filled with loctite / bond and it ensures that the inside bore is really tight flush to the end of the comp tube. On a TX, where the endcap is remoaveable, I machine a recess around the outside of the face face such that the unmachined inner of the end cap protrudes slightly into the sleave (around 1mm), which makes for a really good seal.

As for your 21, just stick with 22 or 23, you have so much more scope for tuning... quite why it's short on power, no idea besides what you have suggested, but that won't stop me guessing
    - surface finish of the bore holding lube or not (which provides a little power through combustion)
    - pellet seat / fit in the breech affecting release pressure
    - leaks around the tp and the end plug
    My solution to sealing the sleeve is to fit a 1mm ccs o ring to the od of the sleeve, even then sometimes they don't seal , the real answer is a one piece end cap/ sleeve , but that's a lot of work, agree on the 22mm, but the 21mm shoots so nicely. today was checking the target gun down at the greyhound and put 12 shots touching strung out horizontally off the knee
    just spotted Phil's post he does the one piece end cap/ sleeve

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Pellet fit feels similar , today I milled a slot in the rear of the tube I made up for the prosport and popped it in a full length tx , the power came up but only to 10.9 fpe , my own full length makes 11.7, with very little pre load , so it looks like the tube has lost volume in the end , I made this by sleeving a 30mm hydraulic tube down to 21mm, pressed an end cap in and had it tig welded professionaly, so the only place it could be losing volume is in the press fit !. I have tried 2 other pistons in it one with an x ring and still the same. In the prosport it only makes 10.4 so a little low for an Ft gun.
    Nick does the stroke measure the same in the different actions !

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    Nick does the stroke measure the same in the different actions !
    yes exactly the same , it should be making way more , I did an hc a while back and struggled to get it below 11.5fpe with 7.9's got to be a leak or a void , I have the standard prosport tube sleeved down and can only get 10 from that, tried to re seal the cap 3 times on that time to give in I think. I can use the 11.9 tube as a spare for my FT gun as its a full length.