Well considering this was the first ever gun I bought on the BBS shortly after joining I have finally gotten around to putting a decent spring in it. After the usual spit n polish it has had a delrin guide and top hat along with ptfe head conversion. Now some would argue this is a backward step but if it is the 50 doesn't realise as its nudging the limit and shooting smooth and very quiet. Its very hard hitting and I'm starting to get some competency with it's characteristics as one.of the local greys found out this morning.
Anyhow going back to the time when these guns were marketed some of the M&G advertising blurb used to say that power was uprated over the older model (I think they may have used a figure of something like 12% or so)? This one as said is just nudging the limit but has a less than perfect tap seal. I've had the T01 alongside the older 50 and aside of some external differences I can't see that the cylinder is longer or the such? Did M&G achieve this reported power increase through uprated spring power alone or is there a longer stroke or something going on?
It was good to get out early this morning and give this golden oldie an airing. Anyone else used to shoot one (hunt) with one back in the day? I've heard the metal is soft in them but the squirrel couldn't tell
Dave