Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original 50T01

Original 50T01

Well considering this was the first ever gun I bought on the BBS shortly after joining I have finally gotten around to putting a decent spring in it. After the usual spit n polish it has had a delrin guide and top hat along with ptfe head conversion. Now some would argue this is a backward step but if it is the 50 doesn't realise as its nudging the limit and shooting smooth and very quiet. Its very hard hitting and I'm starting to get some competency with it's characteristics as one.of the local greys found out this morning.
    Anyhow going back to the time when these guns were marketed some of the M&G advertising blurb used to say that power was uprated over the older model (I think they may have used a figure of something like 12% or so)? This one as said is just nudging the limit but has a less than perfect tap seal. I've had the T01 alongside the older 50 and aside of some external differences I can't see that the cylinder is longer or the such? Did M&G achieve this reported power increase through uprated spring power alone or is there a longer stroke or something going on?
    It was good to get out early this morning and give this golden oldie an airing. Anyone else used to shoot one (hunt) with one back in the day? I've heard the metal is soft in them but the squirrel couldn't tell
    Dave

Sounds like youve got a winner there. My experience is mainly limited to standard 50s but I have shot a froends T01 a fair bit recently. It is loud and has quite heavy recoil but is very accurate. I believe it's been resprung but is running leather still.
    With the T01, there are many differences compared with the the 50, I believe. The engine room is 45 based so it's right up there. Obviously the T01 is a tap loader so will not be as efficient. Personally, I have never found the standard Original 50s lacking in accuracy- mine are excellent, but I think around 10ft/lb is the realistic maximum from one. The T01 will surely be capable of near 12, even in standard form. It must have more cylinder than the 35 based 50.
    What spring is in yours, mate ?
    Last edited by Drew451; 18-06-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    Sounds like youve got a winner there. My experience is mainly limited to standard 50s but I have shot a froends T01 a fair bit recently. It is loud and has quite heavy recoil but is very accurate. I believe it's been resprung but is running leather still.
    With the T01, there are many differences compared with the the 50, I believe. The engine room is 45 based so it's right up there. Obviously the T01 is a tap loader so will not be as efficient. Personally, I have never found the standard Original 50s lacking in accuracy- mine are excellent, but I think around 10ft/lb is the realistic maximum from one. The T01 will surely be capable of near 12, even in standard form. It must have more cylinder than the 35 based 50.
    What spring is in yours, mate ?
    Thanks for the input Drew. I too have a nice condition three ball trigger 50 and it is a handsome gun. I cannot see any differences cylinder wise but I could check the cocking stroke I guess against each other notwithstanding that the T01 has the extended under lever. I wonder if there are indeed any internal differences between the two? I've read many people were captivated by the 50s look back in the day but found many modest break barrels are actually more powerful.
    The T01 was M&Gs crack at revising and improving the 50 but the HW77 spoiled the party.
    As you rightly say the power plant here is the same as the Original 45 but it loses out due to the tap loading. If anyone can recall the article done by Rod Lynton on a hunting outing with a .177 example you will recall it as being very favourable and got me switched onto the T01.
    I've got a Titan running in the gun at the moment. I suspect that my .177 version will take a bit more work to squeeze the power from it. If I can get 11 and above with good accuracy I will be happy.
    Dave

Yes, I think the T01 was developed as part of Diana's race to high power. It is effectively a hybrid between 50 and 45. Note the 2.8 Capri power bulge in the cylinder: expensive engineering and as per 45. The extended cocking lever also suggests a stronger spring.
    I agree- the 50s look superb. Really classy and graceful. I also agree that the 77 put a nail in its coffin. But then the 77 put nails in many coffins. I also think both the 50 and 45 became too expensive to make by the mid 80s which added further nails.
    I'm heartened to read that you're out in the field with yours. Can't be many still in regular use as hunters.

Smile

Hi

I bought a 50 action that came with a spare (Brand new) Export spring! It's mahoosive!! I can recall respringing an old type 01, That was easier than the standard 50 due to not having the three ball sear but the spring I fitted was an Ox

That was some years ago, I sold the gun to a mate, He sold it to another mate, Eventually he asked if I wanted to buy it back, The price was double what i'd sold it for a couple of years before!!

I would hate trying to fit the hugely long mainspring in to a standard mod50

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi

I bought a 50 action that came with a spare (Brand new) Export spring! It's mahoosive!! I can recall respringing an old type 01, That was easier than the standard 50 due to not having the three ball sear but the spring I fitted was an Ox

That was some years ago, I sold the gun to a mate, He sold it to another mate, Eventually he asked if I wanted to buy it back, The price was double what i'd sold it for a couple of years before!!

I would hate trying to fit the hugely long mainspring in to a standard mod50

John
    Evening John.
    I wouldn't say that fitting the spring was a walk in the park but I've had worse. I wouldn't want to go too overboard though as I can imagine that WOULD be a bu**er. Its shooting quite pleasant where it's at.
    I'm guessing that whoever was the last one with your old T01 has caught onto the fact that they are pretty solid dependable units. Equal to (and maybe possibly better) than say an Airsporter or perhaps an Osprey or Tracker tap loaders. Someone did a thread a time back on the pleasant change having a session with an old tap loader can be and I agree.
    I think that the fact that the T01s had a limited production life makes them just that.little bit more off the beaten track and a throwback to yesteryear.
    This one can certainly bring home the bacon ir in this case grey squirrel (not that its flesh will ever pass my lips anytime soon )
    Does anyone know the approximate date of introduction and cessation of this marque by the way? This one is dated September '82- a few months after I left school so definitely one I would have lusted after as a teen!
    Dave

According to published sources, they came out in September 1981, and stopped being made in 1987. Both of which sound about right, from my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Evening John.
    I wouldn't say that fitting the spring was a walk in the park but I've had worse. I wouldn't want to go too overboard though as I can imagine that WOULD be a bu**er. Its shooting quite pleasant where it's at.
    I'm guessing that whoever was the last one with your old T01 has caught onto the fact that they are pretty solid dependable units. Equal to (and maybe possibly better) than say an Airsporter or perhaps an Osprey or Tracker tap loaders. Someone did a thread a time back on the pleasant change having a session with an old tap loader can be and I agree.
    I think that the fact that the T01s had a limited production life makes them just that.little bit more off the beaten track and a throwback to yesteryear.
    This one can certainly bring home the bacon ir in this case grey squirrel (not that its flesh will ever pass my lips anytime soon )
    Does anyone know the approximate date of introduction and cessation of this marque by the way? This one is dated September '82- a few months after I left school so definitely one I would have lusted after as a teen!
    Dave
    Introduced September 1981. I'll have to get back to you on the end date after a bit of digging.
    Regarding the comparison with other tap loaders: I only know my standard 3 ball 50's wipe the floor with my Airsporter. I do like Trackers but, in my opinion, they not the equal of a good 50.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    According to published sources, they came out in September 1981, and stopped being made in 1987. Both of which sound about right, from my memory.
    Ah , job done.

Thumbs up

I've three or four ordinary 50's, I miss that type 01 though!! The trigger on it was superb!!!

I've three that shoot fine and one that's been in bits for years, As I have arthritis in my hands, I've put off rebuilding it for a few years as I can recall putting these back together years ago whilst my hands were OK, Much cussing ensued

The bottom one of these two had a hard plastic trigger that had snapped, After a couple of years looking, A true gent on The arigun forum put an aluminium one with associated bits up for sale, I couldn't type fast enough for fear of someone else beating me to it by a couple of seconds!!

This is the one that needs rebuilding! I have all the parts (Had to source some off !)

The last one I bought from the Airgun fayre this year at Melbourne, Not the prettiest in the world but it was only £80 with the little scope fitted

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    Well that's a longer run
    than I had thought? I wonder how many units they shifted back then? Especially considering the 45 in all its variations sold far better?
    Last edited by jonnyone; 19-06-2017 at 10:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    I've three or four ordinary 50's, I miss that type 01 though!! The trigger on it was superb!!!

I've three that shoot fine and one that's been in bits for years, As I have arthritis in my hands, I've put off rebuilding it for a few years as I can recall putting these back together years ago whilst my hands were OK, Much cussing ensued

The bottom one of these two had a hard plastic trigger that had snapped, After a couple of years looking, A true gent on The arigun forum put an aluminium one with associated bits up for sale, I couldn't type fast enough for fear of someone else beating me to it by a couple of seconds!!

This is the one that needs rebuilding! I have all the parts (Had to source some off !)

The last one I bought from the Airgun fayre this year at Melbourne, Not the prettiest in the world but it was only £80 with the little scope fitted

John
    Yes I was going to mention that to be fair the trigger on.this type 1 is very good. Im not sure if it was made that way.or has been adjusted or has simply settled in. But.one thing for sure its sweet and I'm not about to mess about with it. The type 01 rarely comes up but they are about. I've seen.two in BAR over the years and both have been quite presentable.
    I once stripped down my standard 50, got sidetracked, put it all in a plastic.bag and came back to ut a couple of years after.Not one of my better plans but I.just about muddled through!!
    I wasn't aware that they did plastic triggers.on Diana's- I thought that was FWB territory! Glad you got it sorted though and another old girl lives to fight another day!
    As I said earlier I do think the std 50 is a handsome rifle and pips the 01 in that department but for me if I had to own just the one I think it would have to be a 01. But in the end I ended up with a std 50 and two 01s in each calibre.
    Dave

Well that's a longer run that I had thought? I wonder how many units they shifted back then? Especially considering the 45 in all its variations sold far better?
    I find it surprising that the T01 soldiered on until '87, somehow. But then 1987 was the final year of many of the older leather washered Diana's which had effectively been replaced by the 24/34 and 48/52 series by then.
    There is a T01 for sale up here (Scotland) but it's not the best example. Tempting all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew451 View Post
    I find it surprising that the T01 soldiered on until '87, somehow. But then 1987 was the final year of many of the older leather washered Diana's which had effectively been replaced by the 24/34 and 48/52 series by then.
    There is a T01 for sale up here (Scotland) but it's not the best example. Tempting all the same.
    So what was the last leather washered Diana I wonder? And I wonder in a wider sense what was the last airgun full stop that was leather washered?
    This 50 seems much better with synthetic piston head. I also don't think that the tap loader could soldier on with other more efficient methods of direct loading of ammo.
    That said it was great fun getting out and using an extinct method of loading up an airgun but with some modern performance thrown in
    Dave

So what was the last leather washered Diana I wonder? And I wonder in a wider sense what was the last airgun full stop that was leather washered?
    This 50 seems much better with synthetic piston head. I also don't think that the tap loader could soldier on with other more efficient methods of direct loading of ammo.
    That said it was great fun getting out and using an extinct method of loading up an airgun but with some modern performance thrown in
    Dave
    Evening, Dave. I believe it must have been the Original 45 which soldiered on until 1988.
    As for late leather washer guns, I believe there were some Noricas, FB Record pistols running them later than this. I'm not sure if the Anschutz 335 ever went synthetic.
    To be honest, my BSA Airsporter is not a good advert for tap loaders but my pair of 50s are very good. My priority is accuracy over power and I cannot fault them.