Thread: My latest purchase (my daughter's really).

Talking My latest purchase (my daughter's really).

Yesterday we bought a Daystate Wolverine from Blackpool Airguns (extremely pleasant transaction, nothing was too much trouble even though the shop was busy and a top px allowance on an already discounted rifle).
    I have just got home from the range after my daughter, Emma put it through its paces and we're delighted with it.
    Let me go into a little more detail on why we were looking for this type of gun;
    My daughter was using an S510 carbine at the club for benchrest shooting and she has become so fed up with having to queue up for a refill every 70 shots that she got to the point of not enjoying her shooting any more.
    9 years ago she joined the Army Cadets and fancied airgun shooting as it would help her improve on her shooting in the Cadets so I bought her a nice used Harrier X which was fantastic. One thing lead to another and she quit the Cadets and stopped shooting.
    3 years ago we both decided to get back into the hobby and i bought a Hw100 for myself and Emma had an S410 Classc which she upgraded to a 510 because she preferred the sidelever system.
    I have recently been looking at options for making Emma's trip to the the air bottle less frequent and was looking at the Walther Rotex, BSA S10 etc. Both these guns have mixed reviews so I decided to look at the Daystates and I'm so glad I did.
    Emma is right handed and I'm cack handed and with this being ambi' with the option for the thumbs up posotion it gives me an excuse to to wrench it from her hands every once in a while to have a play.
    Emma decided that she wanted a higher mag' than her 4-16 Viper and part exchanged it for a 8-24 Nikko Panamax and the glass really suits her eyes.
    Anyway back to the first outing with it; Emma filled the gun to the recommended 180bar fill and after 5 minutes zeoring the scope at 35yds it was giving a ragged 1 hole grouping but after the pressure dropped to 160 bar it was starting to shoot about 5mm higher, so we adjusted the scope and for the next 20 mags it was spot on, so we have found the sweet spot to be from 160 bar downwards. The gun was refilled when it dropped to 100 bar at which it was still spot on.
    I am now thinking about swapping my HW100 for one.
    Absolutely fabulous rifle and I like it so much that I may well swap my HW100 for one soon.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 20-06-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Jesim1 is offline Likes to wear driving gloves in the bedroom
    Really glad you have found what your looking for, there are so many good guns out there it's hard to choose sometimes, and even too of the same gun can vary, so not always as easy as asking around?

I think you have made the right choice over the others you considered.

James
    Making a mockery of growing old gracefully since I retired

Nice write up.

If i may ask, could you add your thoughts on the Long Range Panamax please. I have the 3-9 x 40 aoir but i have an ongoing scope need for .22 lr benchrest and I was contempleting the one you have or the next one down, that being the 6-18.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Portzy View Post
    Nice write up.

If i may ask, could you add your thoughts on the Long Range Panamax please. I have the 3-9 x 40 aoir but i have an ongoing scope need for .22 lr benchrest and I was contempleting the one you have or the next one down, that being the 6-18.

Thanks.
    I have only used it briefly and it seems fine. On full zoom at 55 yards it gives a nice clear picture.
    Emma swapped her 4-16 Viper for it and she is more than happy, she says the Nikko is clearer for her eyes.
    The parralex adjustment is smooth and the clicks on the turrets feel precise.
    For the money I think it's an excellent scope.
    Last edited by gtfreight; 19-06-2017 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I have only used it briefly and it seems fine. On full zoom at 55 yards it gives a nice clear picture.
    Emma swapped her 4-16 Viper for it and she is more than happy, she says the Nikko is clearer for her eyes.
    The parralex adjustment is smooth and the clicks on the turrets feel precise.
    For the money I think it's an excellent scope.
    Thank you, I'm really impressed with the 3-9 that I already have so I will invest in one.

Cheers!

Lovely little write-up, gtfreight.

I hope the gun continues to keep both your daughter and self enthused and interested and it sounds like you have very much made the right choice.

Keep enjoying it.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Lovely little write-up, gtfreight.

I hope the gun continues to keep both your daughter and self enthused and interested and it sounds like you have very much made the right choice.

Keep enjoying it.
    I think it may have a little outing at Higham Fields in September.

Quote Originally Posted by gtfreight View Post
    I think it may have a little outing at Higham Fields in September.
    Great! You can join me at the "pfffft" end of the bench if I make it.., I'd love to take a look, did you go for the type B or the C?

Rhys
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Wolverine looks very nice, handel and shoot spot on however it is not regulated, it got slingshot hammer but it is not as effective a regulator. Your main reason for buying the gun was shots count, while you will be able to have about 300 shots, not all of them will be within the sweat spot due to power curve.
    You may be able to have 100 or so useable shot, or perhaps you can have more shots if you shoot at limited range only as variations in shots power will be less evident.
    Accuracy wise don't expect the Wolverine to be more accurate than your HW100, HW100 likely to be slightly more acurate over longer range as all shots are regulated.
    My advice will be not to swap your HW100 for a Wolverine now and give yourself more time to compare both rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Great! You can join me at the "pfffft" end of the bench if I make it.., I'd love to take a look, did you go for the type B or the C?

Rhys
    Emma chose the B type with a 500cc bottle purely for the shot count.

Nice rifle choice gtfreight and i to cannot fault BAR,very helpfull and knowledgeable on all aspects on air guns and firearms....

i popped into BAR a few weeks ago just looking and came out with this Daystate Wolverine Forester new unused in its original box......

Still not used it as i am looking for a club.

keith