Thread: Is it possible to buy a cheap target pistol?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is it possible to buy a cheap target pistol?

Hi all.
    I enjoy a bit of bell target shooting & 10m target shooting, only for fun nothing too serious.
    I'd like to get a .177 pistol to have a go at the targets with.
    The cheaper the better as I don't have much to spend. What is available at a reasonable price and pretty accurate?
    Are the old Gamo underlever pistols any good, or are any of the newer co2 pistols suitable for target shooting & plinking?
    Sorry if it's a daft question, just wanting peoples opinions on if any cheap or older pistols are up to a bit of 10m target?
    Thanks.
    Neil.

I'd say HW40. ssp
    CP1. Co2
    SMK P700W pcp

Just my point of view, but the Webley Alecto/AtakArms Zoraki might fit the bill.

See here : http://pelletgunreviews.blogspot.co....cto-ultra.html

and available secondhand for less than the £200 barrier.

Vic Thompson.

LOV21
    HW40
    Gamo Compact
    Gamo Center
    Diana 6/6G/6M
    FWB65
    IZH-46M
    FAS 604
    Last edited by Geezer; 19-06-2017 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Wrong IZH model number

Thankyou for your reply.
    I'd kind of ruled out pcp as I don't have a bottle & stuff to recharge it.
    All of my rifles are break barrels so I don't mind springers but co2 is an option as I already have a Crosman 2240 which is good fun but no good for targets.
    Is the HW40 a single stroke pneumatic?
    I'm not a huge fan of air pistols that look like firearms, I prefer them to look like an air pistol, but if they're pretty accurate I guess it doesn't matter too much what they look like.

You really won't regret a HW40, or find anything as cheap, reliable and accurate.

Lov 21 would be my choice.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Lov 21 or CP1 both good.

My vote is for the LOV 21.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    You really won't regret a HW40, or find anything as cheap, reliable and accurate.
    agree with this and the chinese copy is ridiculously good as well. i have the hw 75 but thats very expensive.

IMO the HW75 sits way too high in the hand to attain decent scores in 10m target.

The Lov 21 is a capable little pistol that's well worth considering. A simple fettle can get the trigger feeling and performing very well.

To me, the GAMO Compact is just too cramped around the grip and trigger and I don't have goalkeeper's mitts by any stretch.
    The trigger is also quite poor. It's just a PR45 with an anatomical grip really.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    IMO the HW75 sits way too high in the hand to attain decent scores in 10m target.

The Lov 21 is a capable little pistol that's well worth considering. A simple fettle can get the trigger feeling and performing very well.

To me, the GAMO Compact is just too cramped around the grip and trigger and I don't have goalkeeper's mitts by any stretch.
    The trigger is also quite poor. It's just a PR45 with an anatomical grip really.
    The Compact is odd. I have an early (pre 2002?) one and it's quite impressive given its low cost, and has a decent and properly adjustable trigger (though not a patch on a real match pistol). The later (post 2007? I am sure there was a break in production) ones appear to be less good, in particular in having heavy trigger pulls with adjustments that don't really adjust anything.

Still not a competitor on performance to, say, a FAS604, FWB65, or a good Giss system Diana, and probably no better than a Daisy, but much cheaper, used, than all but the last - think £80-120, I guess.