Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to buy a cheap target pistol?

Is it possible to buy a cheap target pistol?

Hi all.
    I enjoy a bit of bell target shooting & 10m target shooting, only for fun nothing too serious.
    I'd like to get a .177 pistol to have a go at the targets with.
    The cheaper the better as I don't have much to spend. What is available at a reasonable price and pretty accurate?
    Are the old Gamo underlever pistols any good, or are any of the newer co2 pistols suitable for target shooting & plinking?
    Sorry if it's a daft question, just wanting peoples opinions on if any cheap or older pistols are up to a bit of 10m target?
    Thanks.
    Neil.

I'd say HW40. ssp
    CP1. Co2
    SMK P700W pcp

Just my point of view, but the Webley Alecto/AtakArms Zoraki might fit the bill.

See here : http://pelletgunreviews.blogspot.co....cto-ultra.html

and available secondhand for less than the £200 barrier.

Vic Thompson.

Thankyou for your reply.
    I'd kind of ruled out pcp as I don't have a bottle & stuff to recharge it.
    All of my rifles are break barrels so I don't mind springers but co2 is an option as I already have a Crosman 2240 which is good fun but no good for targets.
    Is the HW40 a single stroke pneumatic?
    I'm not a huge fan of air pistols that look like firearms, I prefer them to look like an air pistol, but if they're pretty accurate I guess it doesn't matter too much what they look like.

LOV21
    HW40
    Gamo Compact
    Gamo Center
    Diana 6/6G/6M
    FWB65
    IZH-46M
    FAS 604
    Last edited by Geezer; 19-06-2017 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Wrong IZH model number

You really won't regret a HW40, or find anything as cheap, reliable and accurate.

Lov 21 would be my choice.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Lov 21 or CP1 both good.

My vote is for the LOV 21.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I got a FAS 604 for under £200 and an Airmatch 600.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

If you can stretch the budget you could get a Baikal IZH46m (MP46m) from Sportsman Gun Centre - probably about £300 with RFD charges.

You'll need to work the grip - it's basically a block of wood, but when you're finished it'll fit pretty well.

HTH

Paul

Budget wise I'm thinking less than £100, ideally around half that. That's why I was wondering if for example the old underlever Gamos were worth a look.

Hi

Most pistols will work at 10m - for precision target work you need repeatability, balance and a good trigger, that's why target pistols are so expensive.

However, you might like to look at the CP1 and it's variants, you might find one new for under £100 in the UK and should be able to get them from Europe for less if you are OK doing that. I've no personal experience of the CP1 except a few shots at my RFD - you may need to fettle the trigger but there's plenty of info on the web.

Any recoiling pistol will add another variable to your shooting (hold susceptibility) - I've a Webley Hurricane which on a good day I can shoot as almost good as my IZH46m but on a bad day most of the shots don't even hit the black! That's not to say you can't have fun with a recoiling pistol.

The Crosman 1377 has a lot of followers and can be fettled - self-contained no need for CO2 just pump it up and go (again no 1st hand experience) but I did a lot of research before I bought my IZH46m - I needed a step up from my Hurricane and C225. The C225 and similar CO2 pistols tend to have heavy triggers which make them difficult to use for precision target work.

HTH

Paul

If you have a chance, try the Gamo Compact. One draw back is no dovetail, open sights only - perhaps a sign that it is designed as a target pistol (as well as the 'target' grip). 2hand, round the £100 mark.

Under or around £100 (most s/h) and better than a Hurricane:

HW40 and copies (P17 etc)
    Webley Nemesis
    Gamo Compact
    Gamo Center
    Gamo PR-45
    LOV-21
    Diana LP5/5G
    Diana LP6/6G
    Daisy 717/747/777
    Oddball: Predom Lucznik

The Daisy feels cheap, but is a better 10M target pistol than, eg, the Crosman 1377 or 2240.

You might get an FWB 65 for £150-170. If you can stretch that far, job done (ditto with a recently re-sealed Diana 6G).