Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it possible to buy a cheap target pistol?

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    I'd go for a 2nd hand Gamo Compact for about £100. I think you'd take it more seriously as a target pistol than something like the Alecto or HW40 which are both accurate but have a more "casual" air about them, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    The Daisy feels cheap, but is a better 10M target pistol than, eg, the Crosman 1377 or 2240.
    I agree the Daisy is a underrated pistol. It is possible to improve the trigger quite easily.

Most springer pistols are not suitable for serious target work; the LP53 is one exception. The Predom is not nearly as good as the Walther; the trigger is not nearly as good.
    I would recommend a SSP pistol for budget target shooting or a Co2. I don't personally think much as the Crosmans as you have to spend quite a lot to make them a decent pistol. The CP1 is an accurate pistol although it goes through Co2 as if its going out of fashion. The trigger needs work out of the box but this is easy and only takes 10 mins to do
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

I can honestly say I was never enamored by the Gamo Compact - it's built to a budget and feels it with its flimsy plastic action. For the money it's not bad but you can do better with older, as said an old Diana 6G would be a great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    You really won't regret a HW40, or find anything as cheap, reliable and accurate.
    agree with this and the chinese copy is ridiculously good as well. i have the hw 75 but thats very expensive.

IMO the HW75 sits way too high in the hand to attain decent scores in 10m target.

The Lov 21 is a capable little pistol that's well worth considering. A simple fettle can get the trigger feeling and performing very well.

To me, the GAMO Compact is just too cramped around the grip and trigger and I don't have goalkeeper's mitts by any stretch.
    The trigger is also quite poor. It's just a PR45 with an anatomical grip really.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    IMO the HW75 sits way too high in the hand to attain decent scores in 10m target.

The Lov 21 is a capable little pistol that's well worth considering. A simple fettle can get the trigger feeling and performing very well.

To me, the GAMO Compact is just too cramped around the grip and trigger and I don't have goalkeeper's mitts by any stretch.
    The trigger is also quite poor. It's just a PR45 with an anatomical grip really.
    The Compact is odd. I have an early (pre 2002?) one and it's quite impressive given its low cost, and has a decent and properly adjustable trigger (though not a patch on a real match pistol). The later (post 2007? I am sure there was a break in production) ones appear to be less good, in particular in having heavy trigger pulls with adjustments that don't really adjust anything.

Still not a competitor on performance to, say, a FAS604, FWB65, or a good Giss system Diana, and probably no better than a Daisy, but much cheaper, used, than all but the last - think £80-120, I guess.

Nobody mentioned the hw70? Just picked up a lovely brown grip one off here for £60, very accurate and well made. Found the hw40 a pain to load after many shots. The cp1 is also one my favourites second hand.

Sorted chaps, thankyou. I've been to my local gunshop today & purchased a Gamo compact. It's a bit fiddly to load & cock but the grip feels nice & it seems to shoot really nicely.